1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R burning speed/firmware issues

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Gho5tDvD, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Gho5tDvD

Gho5tDvD Member

Ok, i purchased an Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, and got a 4x DVD+R burner, everything works great but heres the problem, using 4x Kodak DVD+R media the fastest i can burn is 2.4x, i've tried nero, sonic, copytodvd and some other programs, but the max speed i can pull off is 2.4x, i remember the dvd burner i had on my desktop was a pioneer 4x DVD-R, that i was having the same issue with, i found this one site that had some firmware upgrades, i upgraded the firmware on the pioneer and could burn at 4x with no problem, so i'm thinking i can do the same thing with my +R burner but can't remember the site, one other issue i had was i'm not entirly sure what kind of DVD+R burner this is, but xp is showing it as an: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N
    so anyone have any idea how i can start burning at 4x, or where i can find some firmware upgrades for the DVD+r burner above?, and why on earth are burners set up this way?? any info at all is greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Gho5tDvD

I have two different burners with the latest firmware in each. One will burn the Kodak discs at 2.4x. The other will burn at 4x. The media code should be
    001-000

For a media reference guide see http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

By the looks of the model numbers I would say you have an LG burner. The GCA-4040N. For information on this drive see http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=94&Search=Search&list=2

I hope this helps
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

If at first you don't succeed ...........![/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  4. Gho5tDvD

Gho5tDvD Member

chthomson where did you get the latest firmware for that drive? on one of those sites some people were saying that you can't burn at 4x, i find it a little wierd that they'd lable it a 4x if you could only do 2.4x though. So What different types of media have you gotten 4x speeds on with the GCA-4040N?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  5. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Gho5tDvD

The only LG burners I own are CD burners.

I believe that the media code RICOHJPN should burn at 4x. This media code is found in Fuji, Maxell and Memorex brands. Be careful with Memorex they can be flavour of the month.

I hope this helps