1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R burning - .vob files over 4.7GB - Please Help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by googz, Jan 30, 2005.

1. googz

googz Member

Hi there, I'm fairly new to DVD burning and have a couple of DVD's that I'm having trouble burning. They are in the .vob format (with associated .buf and .ifo files) and each is in a VIDEO_TS directory...the problem is that each directory is over 5GB in size. Can someone please advise how I burn these? Do I need dual layer DVDs?? Is there a way to compress the .vob files to fit on a 4.7GB DVD???

Any help would VERY much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

download dvd shrink(free) and dvd decrypter(also free) check out the guides under the guides tab.
    Dvd shrink will do the compressing for you, and dvd decrypter, will handle the new encryptions.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. aznvtboi

aznvtboi Member

depend on what program you are using you can drop the qualities down so it take less space so it can burn to a dvd format

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Isnt that what compressing is?

5. googz

googz Member

jim, thanx for the info...i read the guides and downloaded the 2 apps...used dvd shrink on the files and it shrunk them to about 4.4GB...burned them to DVD but get a disc error on my player. not sure if perhaps it's a PAL format DVD so my player can't play it, or if i just didn't do something to the file that i should have. DVD Decrypter didn't seem applicable as it appears to only be for ripping a DVD and in my case i already have the DVD files on my HD. any other thought? any idea how i can tell what format the DVD files are...PAL/NTSC?

thanks again...

6. pfh

pfh Guest

You should still be able to open those files with Decryptor and strip out any encryption that shrink missed. Then use Shrink against the files created with Decryptor to make it region free.

7. googz

googz Member

ok, i'll try again...just that when i opened decrypter, it only gave me the option of selecting a cd/dvd drive to chose to read from...couldn't seem to select files from the HD, but i may have missed something...thanx, i'll give it a shot.

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You might have a compatibility problem with your dvdr disc,check your standalone out with this chart:http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

pfh:eek:pen files with dvd decrypter? Ive never done it that way,are you sure it works that way?Dvd decrypter rips in the file, or iso mode,I dont think you can use it to open files.