1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r Burns ok, but playback dodgy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by martin77, Sep 28, 2004.

1. martin77

martin77 Guest

Hi there folks,

I am relatively new to dvd authoring - I don't know if I should have put this in the newbie forum, if so I apologise.

I've used Roxio Easy Cd & Dvd Creator 6 to try making dvds from AVIs I've downloaded (they work ok in winamp and media player, so seems like the files are ok).

It all goes nice and smoothly, and burn ok. The trouble begins when I try to play them back. In Powerdvd 5.0, it plays the intro (that Roxio automatically inserts unless the user removes it) but won't play the film. In Nero Showtime, it plays the film more or less ok, but the sound is horrific.

They work ok on my girlfriend's tv & dvd player - but I haven't got either, just a pc and it turns out I can't watch my own films!

Any suggestions as to how I can sort this out?

Thanks!

All the best, martin.

2. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

What media have you used martin? What DVD writer and player are you using on your PC?

3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Quality Media and a Slowww burn speed should fix that right up.

4. martin77

martin77 Guest

Hi, big cheers for the fast response....

I'm using Piodata 8x dvd-r and an nec 2510A dvd-rw drive. I'm no expert, but friends use the piodata discs and they're fine... I've used them to burn image and mp3 data and they've been fine...

Whenever I try to play the dvd, powerdvd displays an Edit Playlist window, with the folders video_ts and audio_ts.

Thanks again,

Martin

5. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Piodata is crap media, sometimes only 50% success rate with DVD or video backups. See http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm for more details.

Sounds like these discs will only be of reliable use for data. If slowing your burn speed to 2x or even 1x doesn't work, buy some decent media for DVD/video backups such as Verbatim or RitekG04

6. martin77

martin77 Guest

Sorry, I forgot... the player I'm using comes up as HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B on Device Manager.

7. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

martin77,

Attempt to slow down your burns to 2X to 4X. This may help your playback problems. Also, have you attempted to playback the movies back on your PC using another DVD player?

8. martin77

martin77 Guest

Thanks Alfapaul - I got these dvds off a guy who has worked with pcs since their inception and beyond... he seemed to think they were ok. But I'll try the media you suggest and see if it makes any difference. I'll report back - keep your fingers crossed for me... and thanks again!

9. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

No prob, I may be wrong as I'm no expert, just going off that website. All the seniors on here recommend those two and when I tried em they worked. Good enough for me :)

Best of luck martin

10. martin77

martin77 Guest

Hi Gnomex - and thanks - i have always tried burning at 4 speed, I'll try something slower and see if that helps. I've tried playing them back on powerdvd 5 (which according to forums seems to be quite reliable) and also on nero showtime and winamp. Is there a player anyone can recommend? In the meantime I'll try a slower speed and report back!

11. martin77

martin77 Guest

From where I'm posting, it's almost 1am, so it'll be a while b4 i can try some media (bank balance allowing too...) but I'll post back with the result when I try it. I've wanted a dvd burner for a while and am looking forward to getting it sorted and starting off a nice little stash of dvds... Cheers again for your help. Martin

12. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Same here. You in UK?

13. martin77

martin77 Guest

yeah, nottingham. It's a bit late for this geekery, but am desp to get it sorted! Whats your excuse?

14. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Hmm... old problem...

Do you have any software running in the background like packet writing software (nero ink), Direct CD)

15. martin77

martin77 Guest

The roxio app has a sys tray prog (to drag files onto the cd burner) - apart from that, nothing I can think of...

16. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Can you uninstall that roxio tray application. It might be packet writing software.

17. martin77

martin77 Guest

I tried uninstalling Roxio completely and reinstalling it without the tray parts of the suite. I don't think I did it correctly - I used spybot S&D to prevent any registery changes. And the tray app is still there too! What's the best way to get rid of them and keep the main ap functioning?

18. martin77

martin77 Guest

I think I messed it up with that last try. Ok, so now I have uninstalled roxio AND nero. Then I reinstalled roxio alone and I'm gonna see how that fares, with a 4 and a 2 burn speed. If that doesn't help, I'll try getting rid of the sys tray apps. What's the best way to do this? Thanks again so much for all your help folks - I wouldn't have a clue otherwise!

19. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

martin7,

Roxio and Nero do not work well together on a single PC. Pick one and do not install the other. Nero gets my vote for app of choice. Do not install Nero INK.

20. martin77

martin77 Guest

Cheers. I just did a burn at 2 speed with just the roxio on the pc and it worked ok! I'll try a couple more things and report back.