1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R can't be read in all DVD players. Help !!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Quiquichu, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Quiquichu

Quiquichu Member

I need people opinions and experience.
    When I burned any kind of information like copy, data or video using my Iomega All Format DVD Burner, I having problems to be readed.
    Is look like the burned disks are more hard to be readed, may be are less reflective because the dark purple color?
    Why a original DVD movie plays fast and ok in all drives and why a DVD wedding video recorded don't?
    What is the problem with a burned copy disks?

For example:
    1. My Iomega burner always works ok and fast.
    2. My laptop DVD-Rom works sometimes making noise trying to ajusting the speed all times.
    3. My Panasonic or the RCA DVD Player works after take some seconds in the reading start (5 times than a regular original DVD movie).
    4. Walmart or Best Buy cheap brand DVD player doesn't work, never pass the reading start.

I tried:
    1. Differents DVD's brands (Verbatim, Maxell, Memorex and TDK).
    2. The amount of data (just one MP3 song).
    3. Video bitrate (low and high).
    4. Different type (DVD-R and DVD+R).
    5. Burning speed (1x-4x).

I changed my Iomega DVD drive and still the same.
    May be the Iomega All Format Drives aren't good?
    I called the Iomega Tech support and they don't know.
    Any opinion or experience I really appreciate.
    Thank you, :)

2. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

What software are you using to burn, and what method/options?

3. Quiquichu

Quiquichu Member

Hello my friend,
    When I burn a copy or data I used the Hot Burn the one that came with the Iomega Drive. When I make the DVD video I have a Sony DVD Architect.
    Method?
    The program do all the job, I can choose the bitrate and that's it, this complete the job including the burning part.
    I talked yesterday with one guy from Best Buy and he said that the Iomega DVD drive is a piece of junk. They suggested a Sony or Lite-On. What you think?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Quiquichu, If I read your post right you want to know why an original purchased dvd works on everything but burned dvds are harded to read. Original purchased dvds are NOT burned onto the disc. They are pressed from a master disc similar to the old audio records. They should play in every player out there. Burned discs are harder for players to read and because of the 2 different formats (+ & -) you have to make sure the machine you are playing them in will accept the format you are trying to play. Some players only play -R some only play +R and the newer ones usually play both. Sticking labels on the burned dvds makes it harder to play also. This is just some information that may help you.

Jerry

5. Quiquichu

Quiquichu Member

Hi Jerry, thank you to take some time to reply me back. Very interesting about the original DVD's.

That means that is normal what happening with the burned copy disks?
    That mean also that is nothing wrong with the disks and/or the burner?
    If not, do you know any DVD brand (disks or burner) that don't have that effects on the players?
    Do you have the same bad experience with copies?

The cheap DVD players Walmart/Best buy house brand don't want to play any (+-)format at all.
    Thanks Jerry
    :)

6. 222333444

222333444 Member

Try hitting the >> or next button on your DVD players remote. Sometimes they will go to a black sreen and just sit there.

Sometimes I use to get a "Dirty Disc" error on a freshly burned DVD using a certain softwear (I no longer use). I dug the discs out of the garbage and cleaned them off with dish washing liquid and water. Dried it off and they worked fine. end.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Quiquichu,
    Your problem may not be your burner, media, or DVD players. I think it could be the software you are using to make your copies. Try using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. They are both free and give excellent results for movies. Try Nero For all your data needs you can download a 30 day trial version of that to see if it works for you.

Good Luck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

[bold]P.S. dont listen to the punks at Best Buy they don't know anything.[bold]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote:
    P.S. dont listen to the punks at Best Buy they don't know anything.

bbmayo, I have the same problem at our local PC world, nobody seems to have a clue. It can be expensive too!