1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R & CD-R Quandry

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by axo1usa, Apr 19, 2004.

1. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

I have a Philips DVD recorder as well as my CD recorder.However, although in CD recognizes my DVD as a recorder and formats its' media, it does not seem to recognize my CD recorder. Thus, when I try to record from my DVD to the CD it doesn't recognize any media on my CD recorder, although the CD-R is in position.Consequently, I can't make a cd recordings. Can anybody help?I am using Nero as my software.
    Also, how does one get by all the naming screen off of Nero and just go to record??

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hiya,

You might try reinstalling Nero's ASPI and if that doesn't work go ahead and install Adaptec's 4.71. Here's a link to help:

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

You lost me on that one. What exactly do you want?

3. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Great, I'll try to download that software. I'm using
    Nero 5.5. Every time I drag a new song into the copying files a screen comes up asking me to write the name of the artist and title of the song. I don't want to do that just yet, so I have to wait to get rid of that screen before I can get it to copy. On my computer
    1.5 mhz,it seems to just take time to do this, and I really don't like waiting. then after I've gone through all the steps of putting all the songs in the copy column I click on record and get the message that there is no media in my drive that I am recording to. It says please insert disc. But the the CD-r is in there, although not formatted. I don't know if it has to be formatted or not. But, it doesn't recognize that it is there.And so I just file my songs in the Nero folder.
    Do I have to format a new CD-r media right out of the wrapper ? InCD will format , but only discs that are RW, and I don't want to be confined to using RW's for all my copying.

4. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

OK, I went to the Nero website, but could not find the actual page to download the aspi driver. It was listed in the menu, but when you got to the page, there was no download. So, instead I'm downloading a free trial of Nero 6, and hoping that it will fill in the aspi with it's demo version. By the way I already did delet my entire Nero program from my entire system and reloaded it. It didn't help. Also, I got one version of Nero5.5 with my comuter and CD-r, and a second version of 5.5 came with my DVD-R. But I thought I only need one version for both on my computer.But I apparently still have no ASPI accounted for.

5. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

OK, I went to the Nero website, but could not find the actual page to download the aspi driver. It was listed in the menu, but when you got to the page, there was no download. So, instead I'm downloading a free trial of Nero 6, and hoping that it will fill in the aspi with it's demo version. By the way I already did delet my entire Nero program from my entire system and reloaded it. It didn't help. Also, I got one version of Nero5.5 with my comuter and CD-r, and a second version of 5.5 came with my DVD-R. But I thought I only need one version for both on my computer.But I apparently still have no ASPI accounted for.

6. Nephilim

Try the Adaptec 4.71?

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

*praetor yells at Nephilim for reccomending 4.71* :p

The 4.7x series are known for the *slight* intsability and compatibility issues :p If you have problems, use the 4.60(1021) which has a proven reliability track record. You can grab a copy from me site:
    http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/TOOLS/ASPI4.60-1021.zip
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  8. Nephilim

(hangs head in shame, sniffle, sniffle) :p

9. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Hi,
    I did doownload 4.71 and installed it. then,as
    I heard from someone else, maybe you, I'm not sure, they told me to download 4.6, because 4.71 does have some conflict issues. Anyway, I already had installed 4.71, then I downloaded and installed 4.6. Not sure which one, if any, I'll have to delete yet.
    Also contacted support at Nero....but they're no help.At least, now, my inCD is letting me format a disc
    on my CD-r, but it still only wants to format "RW "discs.One is formatting now, but it says it's going to take an hour. It wasn't that slow when
    I formatted on my DVD drive. I'll let you know if then
    it recognizes the CD for recording purposes.
    Keep you posted.
    Oh, and I don't hang my head in shmae(lol),
    How was i to know what peculiarities awaited me
    when I actually went to use the recording hardware, that was shipped with the so called appropriate
    software?
    But I really thank you for all your help.
    Layne

10. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Ok, after downloading that thread, it made my inCD able to recognize my other recorder and format a CD-RW
    on it. but now, when I try to start Nero, the message comes up, "Nero sees 2 recorders, please exit the program, eject your media and start again. I do this,
    leaving no media in either recorder...but when I click on Nero, the same message still keeps coming up.
    Thus, now i'm unable to even start the Nero program.
    I'm really getting frustrated.
    Please help if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks,

11. Praetor

1. Check that ASPI is correctly installed (preferably 4.60-1021) ... got a link on me site now http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/download.htm -- make sure all the version numbers are the same

2. Goto the device manager and uninstall the drive and reboot
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  12. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

4.71 is installed. should I delete it and put 4.6 back on? And , you want me to uninstall what? My DVD-RW drive or my CD-RW drive? Or both?Or Nero? Or all of the above?
    Right now no matter how many times I try, I can get inCD to format on both drives...therefore it recognizes both of them. Also, when I start Nero it asks me which drive I wish to record on. But after I pick the drive-the CD-RW ..it tells me to put in the disc and won't proceed any further..although inCD has told me the disc is formatted and ready to be used as a floppy. The Nero software just doesn't recognize that a formatted media device is in the drive. But it does recognize that the drive is there, because it initially asks me which drive I wish to record on.
    Thus, something is stopping it from acknowledging the media in the drive.Could it be that i'm using
    "Digital Audio dics"? In other peoples computers, I don't even remember having to reformat CD-R discs
    right out of the package.

13. Nephilim

If you download ForceASPI, there should be a utility in there called KILLASPI that will wipe all ASPI from your system - run that, reboot and then run INSTASPI and 4.60 will be installed.

I believe Praetor is saying to uninstall the drive and then reboot to allow windows to detect and install the drive. Here's how:

Go to Device Manager, double click your drive, then under the Driver tab click Uninstall. It couldn't hurt to do this for both your burner and reader. Once this is done, reboot.

If you downloaded 4.71 there should be a little utility in there called ASPICHK.EXE that will show what version is installed. If all four are listed as 4.6 then all is good :)

14. Praetor

Install 4.71 -- the installation will report "successful" but in most cases wont be so. So, without uninstalling, run the inmstaller that Ive included in mine (actually I think myne has the 4.71 too) -- that is, run the installer for 4.60 and it automatically over files for you

15. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

I played with it all day on Sunday. I threw all the software and the ASPI's, and everything associated with any type of recoding device out! Then I reinstalled Nero only.The Nero CD has 3 downloads , which I copied to my hard drive.InCD was one of those downloads. and it was "inCd" that was blocking my access to the Nero software."InCD" wanted to format the drives.However, it couldn't tell the difference between the 2 drives, and thus it got stuck, and gave me error messages.I didn't need inCD, apparently, in the first place.Now, I don't know if the ASpi is in the inCD or just the Nero software,but,long story short,I got it working.
    Thanks a lot guys for all your help.

16. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Let me conditionalize that last reply. I was easily able to record a CD on my CD-R and, using my DVD drive as the source. However, my next project is to see if I can record Tv onto my DVD-RW off of my ATI 8700dv card,
    which has Tv in and outputs.To use it like a VCR,
    in other words, recording movies off of my Cable.
    I'll come to you if I have any problems.Boy,I never
    knew there could be helpful people on the web.
    Happy I found this site. Thanks again.

17. Nephilim

Although my knowledge on the subject of recording tv is limited, I don't believe your burner would able to keep up with a live broadcast.

But then again if you get it to work let us all know!

Good luck.

18. Praetor

19. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Hmmmm! I think the main problem I'm going to have is
    getting the DVD recorder to identify the source
    from off of which it is recording.From my ATI card, that would be the input device. Of course, it's an analogue to digital recording card, so the end result might not be the resolution of a true DVD video,
    but if it affords me quality VCR resolution and lets me put it on a DVD disc, that would be fine by me.
    I could also save the incoming movie to an AVI file on my hard drive and see if I then can load the AVI file onto my DVD disc. Does anybody happen to know if DVD discs, from the vieo stores, can be copied, like VCR tapes? I know I have a video stabilizer that eats through the videogaurd they put on VCR tapes. I wonder if I can rig that up between an external DVD player
    going into my ATI card and onto the DVD-RW ?
    Or are DVD's more copy gaurded then VCR tapes?

20. Nephilim

Yes they are. You'll need two freeware apps, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, to copy movies.

Check out our Guides section for tutorials on both and I also recommend cruising through our DVDR For Newbies forum for more info as well. It's pretty easy to do. If you have any questiond pertaining to movies feel free to post them in the Newbie forum :)