1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD +/-R compatibility

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by destorm, Sep 7, 2004.

1. destorm

destorm Guest

Hi guys,
    I've a Benq EW822U and a PS2v7+messhia2 that will boot DVDs +R fine, and will boot DVD+RW fine too. But when I try making a burn using any -R media, it doesn't work. It burns. It will show on my computer. DVD-Video plays fine on my PS2 -- but PS2 games just will not boot, inspite of the fact the PS2 is supposed to be more compatible with -R!
    For me the reason is that Benq uses philips-chipsets. Philips helped developing the +r standard. I think these chipsets aren't made for -r(w). Just like I said +r is burned perfect (after bitsetting) but -r is lousy.
    I don't think Benq can solve this through firmwares and the problem can be solved only via calibration lens!!!
    What do you think about that?

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

I think if the +r and +rw works good on the ps2, stick with it. No need to get -r/rw working. just my 2 cents.

3. grimtaz

grimtaz Member

Difference being that the DVD+R is more expensive than the DVD-R. It may be a compatibility issue with the DVD-R and the player. What program & burner are you using to burn the disks? I find that Nero works best.

4. astroduck

astroduck Member

To me, it seems like newer PS2 games tend to work on DVD+R instead of DVD-R. Some of the newer games only give you black screens if you burn them on DVD-R. Older games however work on both +R and -R. Just my opinion.

5. destorm

destorm Guest

I always use DVD Decrypter to have the DVD image and Alcohol 120% for the writing. I read at 4x and burn always at 2.4X (strange speed!).
    I buy +R DVDs DataMedia at 0.80 Euros (never failed 'til now!). The RW is Verbatim (4 Euros)

For the -R I used 4x Six, 4x Princo, and 4x Memorex with the same procedure (included the strange write speed 2.4X...)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  6. grimtaz

grimtaz Member

I have seen this problem before. The problem isn't your PS2 the problem is a compatibility issue with the DVD disks you are using and the Burner. Your burner supports 4x for DVD -R and you only get 2.4x I've seen this problem with blank white princo disks. I've come accross 2 types of DVD-R princo disks one has writing on the disk and the other is blank. If you look closely at the hub of the disk you will see a code. Try another Princo disk with a different code. Or try an Imation or Verbatim disk.

I had a friend of mine change to a different Princo disk and presto, burns at 4x and works perfectly.

7. destorm

destorm Guest

I tested 2,4X -R with a ps2v7+No-Solder+Actionreplay and with a ps2v9+matrix without problems. The same -R on my ps2 don't work!!! So I remain on the same idea: it is only a calibration problem.

8. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

I use -r for all my ps2 games buring with dvd decrypter @ 2X and i have never had a problem..every game works great..my buddy does the same and never has a problem...the one time i used +r it flashed green then blue on the screen and was slow loading.