1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R compatibility

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cathyq, Jun 11, 2007.

1. cathyq

cathyq Member

My DVD player manual lists DVD-Rs to be compatible with my DVD player. However, I made a slideshow, burned it to a Sony DVD-R, and my DVD player couldn't load the disk. The DVD player is a Sony, and it is only a year old. Could this be the media I used, or is it more likely to be a problem with the burning process or a setting I used during the burn process? Obviously, I am somewhat of a novice at this!

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. cathyq

cathyq Member

The disc was burned as a MPEG-II file (720 X 480), NTSC. Also, under the section called "DVD+R/RW Compatibility", the ISO creation box is checked "generate disk image on the fly". I don't really understand what that means, but perhaps that is the problem. I might add that when I re-burned the slideshow onto a DVD+R, it played fine on my DVD player. Also, I tried playing both disks (DVD+R & DVD-R) on a friend's DVD player and got the same results. Thank you so much for your help, and let me know if you need more info about my burn process. I really enjoy making these slideshows for people, but this disk compatiblily stuff is frustrating! I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong!

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

5. cathyq

cathyq Member

I am using the same software I use to create the slide show which is Pro Show Gold.

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

If you made one + disk and one - disk the SAME way and only one works in your player - it's probably the player. Not what you did.

Check your player here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

to see what it is supposed to play. My manual says my player does NOT do +R, the web says it does. My player in fact reads +R disks.

Manuals are NEVER wrong . . .

8. cathyq

cathyq Member

Thanks. I did check my DVD player on the list, and according to all resources I have checked, the DVD player should play DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs. Also, the DVD-R I burned would not play on my friend's player, nor would it play in my computer's DVD drive. When rt. clicking on the properties of the DVD, for file type, it shows "unknown file type". Did I do something wrong during burning? Does it have anything to do with the burning speed? As you can tell, I'm somewhat new to this!