1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R disc errors

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ls3mach, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

I have been burning DVD-R, since I have noticed some freezing I decided to begin checking my burns. Here are my questions.
    1 Is DDVDINFOPro a good program to check for errors with.
    2 If so what do white boxes mean.
    3 Are some errors expected and acceptable.
    4 Is DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 acceptable to rip with.
    5 Is Nero or Stomp acceptable for burning.
    6 What type of media is best.
    7 Could I be making the files too large.
    8 I do not use the computer or jostle it
    while buring but is there more I could do.
    9 Does my burner just suck.
    10 Anything else I missed.

Vital stats
    Toshiba 2455-S305 Satelite
    P4 2.4GHZ
    512MB DDR
    Toshiba SD-R6012 1x DVD
    Nero 6
    SRNM 4.5
    DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5
    Ritek GO3
    Ritek GO4
    Memorex 4x
    Compusa 1X
    Disc size 4.38

Anything I missed please ask.

Thanks
    Lonzo

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi Lonzo,

1) You can use also the Nero SpeedTest, it might also give some indication about the media quality, but I guess DVDINFOPro is ok, too.
    2) Follow the white rabbit.
    (Actually I didn't quite understand your question. What boxes are you talking about?)
    3) If your setup is right you shouldn't get any errors, the burnt dvdr:s should work on most dvd-players as well.
    4) Yes, DVD Shrink is very good, but if you compress more than 30% you will most likely get bad quality on the movie.
    5) Many say Nero is good, but many (including myself) have had problems with it, especially with Nero 6. I've been using ImgTool Classic to make an image of the folders I've made with Shrink and then I use DVDDecrypter to burn the dvd. All these programs are free and they work great. Try 'em.
    6) Depends on your burner, check
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia or
    http://www.mpegit.net/dvdr_quality.php for example. Personally I use Verbatim's and Ricoh's 4x media, they work excellent on Sony.
    7) A good disc will fit 4.38G, but if the media is poor quality try to make the files smaller. On some Princo's I've used 3.8G was about the maximum...
    8) Well, you could pray that your discs work while they're in the burner... ;)
    9) Maybe, make sure you have the latest firmware and use only 1x speed for burning until you have found the source of your problems.

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003