1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R disk freeze and skip on my pc problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by paris1129, Aug 25, 2004.

1. paris1129

paris1129 Member

I've read a lot of the threads in this forum trying to find an answer to this problem, but most of what I could find addressed a burnt dvd in a pc not playing in a normal dvd player. I have a different issue. I recently purchased a panasonic dvd recorder to replace my old vcr, and I have begun transfering home videos to dvd and recording tv programs. Last night I played a dvd of home movies in my pc and, although at first played fine, after a little while it froze. This happened several times, in both of my pc dvd drives. I then tried a dvd i recorded tv programs on, and experienced a similar problem when trying to select the menu while watching one of the chapters. It then froze and would not respond to anything! However, both disks appear to play fine in the original recorder!! Also, I loaned a disk to someone a few nights ago to watch, also recorded on this panasonic, and he told me this morning that it also froze at a certain point on his pc!! The only thing I can think of is perhaps the 8x media is too fast and causing errors. I don't know how to slow the dubbing down, or even what speed it records at for that matter!
    I am using the Panasonic DMR-E85H, and the media I am using are the Fuji 8x dvd-r and I also tried Pioneer 8x dvd-r disks, and have had the problem with each type. I burned them using the dubbing feature of the recorder, and they were all is SP mode. My pc is a compaq presario laptop, and I also tried my external dvd burner. Any comments would be most appreciated.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You really don't have very many options, Try some Ritek G-04 or Verbatim. These seem to work well. If changing media does not help then I sure would consider taking the player back or at least calling their tech support. The thing is not much good if the discs will only play in the original recorder.

It is like the file structure it produces does not meet the DVD specification, which is a standard used to record DVDs so they will play in all players. If the playback device does not recognize the DVD's file structure then it will freeze and do other odd things. Now this may be a media problem, so check it out and try some different media. I would think that Panasonic would want you to be able to watch the DVDs in other players.