1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R DL on Nero Vision Express 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by billymupp, Feb 15, 2005.

1. billymupp

billymupp Member

Thanks for reading anyone/everyone, and I'm sorry if this thread is out of place. I recntly purchased a Sony DRU-720A DVD writable drive for writing DL disks. I had previously had a DVD+/-R/RW drive, so I'm not exactly a newbie, but anyway... my problem is this. I used the Nero software that came packaged with the drive and it works wonderfully; I've made four disks that all work just fine in my computer and on a few stand-alone units that I have tried. The problem is that three of the four I have made don't work on MY stand alone unit, which is a nice Panasonic all-in-one unit (a DVD player, 5.1 digital audio decoder, etc.). What I can't understand is that I used the same exact process four times --- same write speed, same type of discs (RiDatas, I had a five pack), etc. --- I didn't change a thing from one burn to the next --- but the first one I tried did not work in my player, the second one did work in my player, and the last two did not work in my player. They all work on my computer, they work on the older, cheaper players at my parents' house, so why do three of the four not work on mine? And why does one of them actually work? Any ideas?

2. billymupp

billymupp Member

I should add a few things to help you understand what the project was. In each case I was taking a captured video file from VHS (four different store-bought cassettes that are not and are not likely to ever be in print again) -- -captured in mpeg2 format --- and laying it down to DVD. So, there should be no copyright protection issues, etc. Also, in each case the menu loads on my stand-alone unit, so it's not as if the three that aren't working on my unit aren't even being read. The movies simply will not start when one presses "enter" on the player remote.

So, any ideas?

3. Thombeal

Thombeal Member

Well, i don't think i have an answer, but it MIGHT be that it's a plus disc. My old-ish panasonic standalond dvd player only plays DVD-R discs, NOT DVD+R, so it might be that dual layer discs are only DVD+R DL. However, my 18month old portable panasonic DVD player seems to play both DVD+R and DVD-R, but if yours is new, then i would have though it would play both types, though i've not yet experimented with dual layer discs yet, though my write does support them.