1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R DL

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by briansolo, Jul 21, 2007.

1. briansolo

briansolo Member

i notice that many burners' specs state that they can burn DVD-R DL as well as DVD+R DL. however, all i've ever seen for sale are the +R DLs, which do not play on the main DVD player in our house.

commercially made movie DVDs that are dual layered DO play on the main home player. i'm assuming these are DVD-R DLs.

i want to burn content on DVD-R DLs. where can i buy blank DVD-R DL discs? anywhere?

2. bbruno

bbruno Member

You know...I am having the same problems with the +R myself. Just posted about it. You can find the -R online. I could not find them at Staples either...my wife asked them about it...and they said they have never heard of a DVD-R DL.

I can get the +R to burn just fine...but like you, they will not play on my players.

3. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

hi guys
    iam glad to help u guys
    same problem faced
    go to microcenter.com
    usually they carry -dl's
    i stockem up
    don't put more than a buck for dick
    that my point of view

next thing milk ur blank until thankgiving

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Have you tried setting the booktype to the DL DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM? That may help. You can't really compare DVD-Rs or +Rs to retail DVDs, because those are pressure and not burned. It's a totally different process.

5. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

dvd-r DL i've seen running for like 5$ a disc tho....i've only seen dvd-r DL on 2 websites and not in any store probably because of the high price per disc's......

6. JVC

JVC Active member

Store bought movies are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost everything. Since they are booktyped to DVD Rom, they must use DVD +R DL discs for commercial movies. Only +R, +RW and +R DL discs can be booktyped!
    Here is info on booktyping:
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Sorry, couldn't resist, thanks for the info about -R DL disks, like the other responders, thought they only made +R DL (Verbatim and Ritek)

8. gamename

gamename Regular member

hehehe.. blivet is right , something just seems wrong here. buy the way, booktyping should do the trick.

9. briansolo

briansolo Member

yeah, i tried changing the booktype setting to dvd-rom, but still no luck.

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

We have a Sony DVD player which does not like any 16X media, and struggles thru most of the +R varieties, booktyped to DVD-ROM as well as non booktyped. You may have a similar unit which only likes the slower -R media.

11. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

DVD players cannot tell the disc speed because they do not read those portions of the ADIP or lead-in sections of discs. If the Sony DVD player is not reading the 16X discs well, then the recordings on them vary from the recordings made on 8X media. It may be jitter or reflectivity rather than PIE or PIF/POF problems and not typically evident in a scan. That would indicate a problem with the recording quality from the combination of disc/drive.

On the other hand, it may also be that the Sony DVD player is on the outer limit of a critical tolerance value and the problem is not a at all recording issue.

12. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

Yes listen to this man. also commercial movies are not burned but pressed as DVD-ROM. If you get +R DL and book type to DVD-ROM, your dvd player won't be able to tell difference between commercial and burnt media.

13. briansolo

briansolo Member

thanks, burningas, i understand that. however, the fact remains that i have the booktype set to dvd-rom, and it makes no difference. the dvd will not play on the main home player, which is also a -r recorder, which i believe just refuses to play a burned +r dl.

14. JVC

JVC Active member

See if there are firmware updates for your player(s).......

15. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

that's werid. all dvd players should play DVD-ROMs-that's what they are made for! are you sure you booktyped it? AND your dvd drive is ABLE to booktype DVD+R DL discs?

a lot of times in nero or whatever, you can select booktype to ROM even when your drive doesn't have the capabilities to do so.

16. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I concur, The Sony in question, as well as a Philips DVD standalone will not play DVD+R DL disks which are booktyped to DVD-ROM. No firmware updates are available. The Philips will play any DVD-R disk, irregardless of the speed, but the Sony doesn't like the newer, faster media, specifically 16X or daster either +R or -R. I don't know why, it just is.

17. briansolo

briansolo Member

burning as:
    yeah, i check it every time before i burn to make sure it's set to dvd-rom. i use dvd decrypter for my burning, and it makes great discs with dvd shrink.

but yeah, it doesn't work on the standalone for some reason. it'll play on any other standalone in the house, but oh well.

oh, and quick tip for blivetNC, irregardless is not a word. just say regardless ;)

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

irregardless
    One entry found for irregardless.

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
    Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
    Function: adverb
    Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
    nonstandard : REGARDLESS
    usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless

I still like the word =) regaredless if you like it, irregardless if you don't.
    You might also want to try IMGBurn for burning, same guy wrote the program, but unlike Decypter, it is updated, Irregardless of Sony's actions

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  19. briansolo

briansolo Member

i'd take your dictionary's advice. irregardless just sounds stupid. i'm not flaming you, i just hate the way that word sounds.

imgburn? i've got it; i'll give it a shot. thanks.

20. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Nope, still like the word.
    You say Tomahto, I say Tomatoe, let's call the whole thing off...