1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R, does bottom-surface color make a difference?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cured, Jul 13, 2002.

1. cured

cured Member

I know people have been asking on what DVD-R brands are good to use, but I was just curious if the recording surface color made a difference. I know when cd burners were new on the market, I had the worst luck with most gold bottomed cdr's. I was just wondering if there is anything similar like that now with DVD-Rs of any paticular bottom-surface color.

2. top_cat_a

top_cat_a Member

Not Sure. I was told for ps2 backups that the darker the disk the less wear I will have on the laser. Have been using Shintaro brand to back up and they have been fine in Panasonis rv32, but for ps2 these are not dark enough. Apparently the messiah team tested diffent disks and found the darker the better. They also say that low quality disks make a ps2 laser work harder and make chips run hotter than the recommened voltage can handle, but im not sure as I was only told this.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Color doesn't make any difference. Just buy good quality media and you'll be fine.

4. ds47uk

ds47uk Member

I have always had much more success on my Pioneer with dark plum-coloured discs (made by Ritek) than with the paler lilac ones made by other manufacturers. I don't think though that this is a colour specific thing so much as a dependency on the manufacturer and their compatibility with a particular machine. If they work .. keep on using them!