1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Drive(s) suddenly not working

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MHeadache, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

suddenly my optical drive(s) are not working normally. I had only one but bought another one tonight to see if the unit was bad. 2nd unit is SATA, first is PATA. Both behave the same way.
    they do work normally in that they can read data and copy files to the hdd, etc, but they do NOT behave normally in the following ways:
    inserting a data disk doesn't cause the autorun to launch, nor do the normal choices for which app to run come up.
    All my movie ripping apps act like there is no movie in the drive, and once I put a movie in the drive, Explorer behaves badly, not showing any drives in My Computer, etc.
    Nero Speed Tools launch but never really run. No GUI ever appears, although the processes are in fact running.
    I feel that this is some sort of core driver type issue but don't know where to look.

2. onya

onya Guest

Try this, RIGHT mouse buton click on the "my computer" icon, select PROPERTIES, then LEFT mouse on the HARDWARE tab, select DEVICE MANAGER,double click on DVD/CD-rom drives, double click on the drive in question and you have an open window with more tabs(6) with XP.
    This should help, let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  3. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

After mucking about for awhile, I've found that this issue is specific to certain DVDs. Some DVDs I can rip normally using either FU or DVD Fab, others cause my system to have a fit.

"Having a fit" can be described as

ripping program stops working - locks up.
    My Computer comes up blank, even after I remove the disc.
    Computer won't boot with the disc in drive.
    Nero InCD won't close upon a Restart command.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 1 in 10 thing, but it seems more like a 1 in 2-or-3 thing.

Most recently this occurred on Golden Eye and Cars. Both in good condition. And this is happening on two drives, a Pioneer and a Plextor PX 755SA.

Hope this rings some bells with someone...

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Can you please tell us all the software you have installed on your system? Mainly DVD or CD related software this could give us a better idea of what could be going on? It sounds more like a software issue to me.

5. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

I agree, now that I see that it still works on some discs, I'm thinking software too.

I have installed...
    Nero 7 Ultra
    Fair Use Wizard 2
    DVD Fab Decrypter 3
    ffdshow
    InterVideo WinDVD 7
    FLV Player
    VideoLan VLC et al
    Alcohol 120%
    Magix Movie Edit Pro 11
    Super

There's other software installed, but thats it for movie/optical related.

Thanks

6. onya

onya Guest

Known issues on my current rig are that AnyDVD and Dvdfab decrypter don't get along..(I disable AnyDVD as a matter of course, coz this runs in the BACKGROUND and therefore IS active....constantly) Do you have similar error/alarm/alert messages that indicate non-compliance? Can you disable other dvd/ripping apps etc,that you have installed,EG: Fair Use Wizard 2? Process of elimination will get you there.(I don't mean to sound condecending)My personal suggestions are firstly un-install and eliminate all files known to your FREEWARE apps. If you feel it is req'd that you do same to your purchased apps.. then KEEP THE KEYS and Re-introduce your favourite apps, ONE AT A TIME(your personal preferences will dictate their useage and validity) perform the same tasks that you usually follow with regards to ripping and burning. By your signature, you have a VERY good system, the only other query is if your rig is getting HOT..are you SURE it's not? There are also some folk that believe in RE-FORMATTING your hdd(s) and RE-INSTALLING your O/S...DON'T do this lightly..do it if only suggested by the MANY, NOT THE FEW. This is not to say you should never re-format your hdd, but leave IT as the resort.Lastly.. have you tried AnyDVD? I swear by IT and Alchohol 120%(love those apps!!!) Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  7. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

Since it works with some discs, but not with others; and since those discs work fine in my old PC; and since the problem occurs with no apps running (e.g. Explorer comes up blank)... I'm wondering if it's a rootkit or some other type of malware.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

8. onya

onya Guest

Assuming that you've tried those actions suggested(positively) and have definetely checked out DMA and PIO settings, PLEASE let us know that you have researched/applied these suggestions. I'm sorry to say that if confirmation of actions taken is not given. it's difficult to further analyse the current problem.. AND after these suggestions you post a possible MALWARE/INTERNET security software problem! The question begs, DO YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT SECURITY SOFTWARE ALSO?

All the best.

9. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

I have checked all IDE channels and all are listed as DMA if available. I feel I can rule out most of the sofware since it occurs when it's not running. I am a bit concenred about Nero InCD only because I don't really know what it does.

I have noticed two devices listed in my device manager under CD/DVD Drives that are virtual drives. One is Nero's listed as NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device. The other is listed as CG4152X XAW733C SCSI CdRom Device. I tried once to remove them using device manager but was never successful.

As for malware protection, I'm running Norton AV with Auto Protect on and have scanned my system using AdAware SE. All clear. However I am not sure if either one would detect a root kit, nor am I sure this is even an avenue to pursue. I was hoping this would all ring some bell and give me a specific direction to go down before I go hard on chasing things I'm making up in my head, lol.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I would be willing to bet it is Nero IN CD. this wouldn't be the first time that proggy causes problems.

Un-install Nero
    Go here Nero Clean Tool and use the Nero clean tool to get rid of Nero Completly from your system.
    Then re-install Nero, but Do Not install IN CD this time.

See if that works your problems out :)

11. onya

onya Guest

@bbmayo This is something that just came to mind, a few years ago I took my old rig in for repairs(AutoCAD issues) and part of the conversation nero was mentioned. The advice given at the time was "whatever you do when installing apps to a new system, install nero LAST" This I realise may not help the current issue but, is NERO one of those GLITCHY type of apps? Would you perhaps agree with the pc repair man?

Cheers.

12. MHeadache

MHeadache Guest

I followed this advice. I haven't yet RE-installed Nero, but I can tell you that my problem is fixed! I'm a little iffy on the InCD cleaner because it gave me an invalid directory message, but maybe thats because I had already uninstalled the main app?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ MHeadache,

Glad this worked out for you and you will be fine to load Nero back on your system, but this time just "DO NOT" load InCD.

@ onya,

It really isn't Nero the program itself that causes the problem, but Nero InCD. This one little program has been know to cause all sort's of conflicts with other software and no one really uses it anyway so it is best to just not load it at all. Nero is a great program to use and have in your arsenal other than that so I wouldn't say to get rid of it as it is a very good program other wise.

Again glad it all worked out,
    Cheers