1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R & DVD+R will not play

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by bloonight, May 8, 2004.

1. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Hi all,
    I have browsed the site over and over and cannot find anything like my problem. Help please. I am running a Sony DVD RW DRU 500-A on a PIII 900 MHZ with 256 megs RAM, 40 GIG HD,64 MB vid. I am using Shrink DVD and Nero 6. Everything works great together except I cannot burn a DVD-R or DVD+R that will play on my stand alone DVD player. It keeps showing "no disk" evertime I try to play them. They play on my computer with Power DVD fine. There are 2 strange things happening here. I can burn a DVD- or + rewritable and it will play on my computer and every other stand alone I have tried also I was able to burn DVD-+ prior to updating my firmware. My questions are can I revert to the old firmware and how do I do that and has anyone else ever heard of this problem. By the way I can burn any brand of rewritable including cheap no names and I am using Verbatim DVD-+ for my media. They aren rated for 2x-4x. Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Did your copies play before you updated your firmware? I don't own a Sony burner so i won't advise you about reverting to previous versions.

I have an Apex 1200 that won't recognize or play any 'purple bottom' discs - reports No Disc.

My GE, Sylvania and Panasonic play everything I throw at them.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo DRAGON ULTRA - AMD 2600+ - 1Gig RAM - 380Gigs SATA
    ATI 9800 128Meg - NEC-2500A - Sony DVD-ROM
    WinXP Pro w/ SP1, DVD Shrink - DVD Decrypter - Nero 6.3.1.6[/small]

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  3. stalker10

stalker10 Guest

I have a pioneer dvr107D and I have the same problem. MY backuped DVD's only work on my PC not my normal DVD player.

4. RWG

RWG Regular member

Try them in a friend or neighbors DVD player or take 'em to town and try them somewhere that sells players. Walmart? That'll tell you if it's your player.

5. bloonight

bloonight Guest

Hey RWG,
    Thanks for the heads up......here's me thinking I had a great DVD player and it turns out to be crap. It's only certain models of the player that work and I went a hunting and mine is not on the list. It plays almost everything else but not DVD-R or DVD+R. I managed to keep a few of my practice burn disk and treid them on a Toshiba I had in the garage and BINGO!! they worked. Anyway...thanks for the help and prayers for the day when standadized blue light burners and players are the norm and Sony is just a bad dream we all wake up from.

6. siber

siber Regular member

Bloonight, keep on dreamin'... I think you just had bad luck with that particular DVD player. MOST DVD players today will play both DVD+R and DVD-R discs, even the really cheap ones...I am afraid blue ray lasers and other promised 'improvements' are only going to increase the confusion. RWG had the best idea: if you want to get a new DVD player, take one of your burned DVD+/-R to the store and see if it plays before you buy. I have a Sony that plays everything but I also have a $32 Cyberview from China that does just as good. Better luck next time.