1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by elkaiman, May 22, 2007.

1. elkaiman

elkaiman Guest

what is the difference between the dvd-r and dvd+r,i can not copy the dvd+r from a dvd-r using clone dvd2 , clonedvd2 setup i have it on dvd-5 help

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you should not have any problem copying a movie from one disk to another.... whether they are both +Rs or -Rs .. doesn't matter what disk it's copying to. if there is a problem it's because CloneDVD is having a problem reading your disk so it's can't copy it! what is happening when you try to copy? what does it do and does it have an error message?

If you have a copy on a DVD5 and you want to make another copy you can burn on the fly using ImgBurn or other burning software, since there are no encryptions on the disk! Or you can use DVDDecrypter to rip your DVD to the hard drive and then use DVDDecrypter or ImgBurn or other burning software to burn to another disk! there are plenty of ways to copy a copy! and it doesn't matter if you're burning to a -R or a +R unless you burned the original all the way up to the edge of the disk ... in which case a -R will hold 4489MB and a +R will hold 4482MB! but I wouldn't burn that close to the edge of ANY DISK!

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. elkaiman

elkaiman Guest

thier are no error mesg. it does read the complete but when is start to burn(i have the video on dvd-r)it just stays in setting and erasing and it don't burn on dvd+r could it be my dvd drive its a lite-on dvdrw-sohw-812s thank you

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

try some other writing program..... and see if that helps! what brand of Disk are you using for those DVD+Rs? are you using quality media? that could be your problem. Stick with the MIJ rule (Made In Japan). Look for the MIJ on the label of the box of spindle (Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Maxell, and some Fuji)... the only exception to this rule is Verbatim, which is top notch media but made in Taiwan/Singapore and the only non MIJs I will use.

also here is your burner:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/lite-on-sohw-812s/230
    your burner is at least 3 yrs old now.... not even a 16x burner.... I hope you updated your firmware to the latest .... that would help with your drive write strategies on the newer media that's out there... this could be your problem! the latest firmware is USOS and here is the link to download the firmware update:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1792

or you can download DVDDecrypter: http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1
    and follow this to find what firmware you have and to see if you drive is up-to-date with the firmware for your drive:
    [​IMG]

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition. Doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive .... not hinder the drive or hurt the drive, unless you did something wrong with the installation of the firmware or tried to upgrade to the wrong firmware for that drive!

Last edited: May 22, 2007