1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD -R for Dummies

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by laurlitt, Jan 2, 2005.

1. laurlitt

laurlitt Member

I am attempting my first video creation project (on PC) and went to burn my first DVD. I received an error stating 'Insert DVD and try again'. I know I already have a DVD in the correct drive, so I was seeking help when I was told about this website...

I think I need more knowledge about this stuff before I can problem solve...

What's the difference between all the DVD type disks (i.e. -R, +R, -R/W, +R/W) and how do I know if I'm using the correct kind for my DVD Writer?

I have a 5 pk of DVD-R 4.7GB, 120 minute, 4X DVDs...

Could my problem be due to improper disk, or perhaps even a hardware problem. I've never tested the writer before (PC is about 9 months old).

I am using Windows Movie Maker on XP

THANKS...

2. laurlitt

laurlitt Member

I take that back... I am using WIN DVD Creator on XP

3. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

we need alot more info is the vid creation a back up of a dvd you have is it a creation you made.for disk types read any paper work that came with your burner or look it up on the net see what it uses most new dvd burners use all types.what burn program are you using where did it fail.you said you tested the writer how did you do that did you actually burn on it. if that's so then you know it reads those disk type. when you got the error saying 'Insert DVD and try again'.it sounds like it was looking for a disk to play or pull a file from a disk, because it would say something to the effect improper media not enough sufficent space on disk please insert disk with more room avaliable depending on you burning software if it was improper media type.i spent days reading guides people wrote on this site and i constatly read here daily if i was you goto the guide find something that sound like something your trying to do then post back with any problems you'll get it.

4. laurlitt

laurlitt Member

we need alot more info is the vid creation a back up of a dvd you have is it a creation you made.for disk types read any paper work that came with your burner or look it up on the net see what it uses most new dvd burners use all types.what burn program are you using where did it fail.you said you tested the writer how did you do that did you actually burn on it. if that's so then you know it reads those disk type. when you got the error saying 'Insert DVD and try again'.it sounds like it was looking for a disk to play or pull a file from a disk, because it would say something to the effect improper media not enough sufficent space on disk please insert disk with more room avaliable depending on you burning software if it was improper media type.i spent days reading guides people wrote on this site and i constatly read here daily if i was you goto the guide find something that sound like something your trying to do then post back with any problems you'll get it.

Here are some answers:
    The vid creation is from Mini DV videos that I have filmed.

I have NEVER tested my DVD burner.

I am using WIN DVD Creator on XP to burn the disk. I don't have a seperate DVD burning software.

I'll see what I can find regarding 'my' burner... It came w/ my Compaq PC that I had to buy in a rush (I doubt there are any manuals, but I'll see what I can track down online.)

I'm too young to be behind the times already :)

5. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/133250 I'm too young to be behind the times already :)haha as fast as tech moves today it sure seems hard to keep up but that is why i love it always something new to try keeps me playing and thinking i do not know much about what you are trying to dobut the above tread should help i searched around and this seemed to have some good guidance read the second post good luck if i come across anything else i will post it.

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

What model drive do you have? If your drive says +R/+RW, it will not recognize DVD-R media. Only if it has both +RW/-RW will it read all media. My gut feeling is that your burner only recognizes +Rs (write-once) and +RWs (rewritables). Just think of the + and - as VHS and Betamax - they aren't the same.