1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD -r format question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mattyb, Aug 9, 2004.

1. mattyb

mattyb Member

Please be gentle as this is my first post here.

I have created a backup of my DVD using my PC and buring to a DVD-r medium (thats all my PC DVD supports).

How ever my DVD player with my TV only supports DVD+r formats...! (I guess I should have looked into this in more detail when I bought the DVD player).

Anyway my question is: On my PC is it possible to burn the DVD in a "Dual Format DVD Format" that is not DVD+r or -r (or both). So that it will play on the DVD player connected to my TV. I know I have an option to use VCD or SVCD but I do not want to lose the quality.

I am guessing the answer to this question is NO, as I am tied to the DVD burner and media format on the PC, but would appreciate an experts advise.

Thank-you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  2. shooter

shooter Member

If your DVD BURNER "ONLY" supports -R disks for burning, and your set top DVD PLAYER "ONLY" supports +R, and NOT -R, there is not a thing you can do about it. (Not that I know of anyway.) Sorry.
    You will have to pick up a Set Top unit that supports what your BURNER will burn. In your case, -R format. (Which is what MOST of them support anyway.)
    Good luck to you,
    shooter===>>>

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

The +/- refers to the actual structure of the disc and not the way it's burned so there's no way around it.

If it's any consolation, dual format burners are very inexpensive nowadays with models from my favorite manufactures such as Lite On and Pioneer going for well under $100 :)

4. 2005

2005 Regular member

go for the plextors... theyre very good burners... i like lite-on myslef only for the unequaled EFM capability