1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD- R Freezing

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by woody119, Oct 23, 2004.

1. woody119

woody119 Member

Hi.
    Im currently using "DVDXCopy_Platinum_v3.0.2" to copy all my current DVD i own. I have a Liteon drive and a no-name brand in my laptop. I have used my different blank DVDs From TDK, Philips and about 5 others. But I also get the same corrupt sectors throughout the DVD in different spots. The spots are not aways in the same place and if i run the DVD through 3 times i normally get a good one.

So now i copy the DVD to a dir using DVD X Copy then burn using Clone DVD and everything is working great. But sometimes Clone DVD can not read bad sectors (normally if you hit retry enough it skips past it)

[bold]What i want to know.[/bold] Is there a DVD burning program out there that you can burn from a DVD or files on a HHD. And tell it to auto skip bad sectors.
    Like in the normal cd version of clone CD you can tell it to skip 10 sectors at a time if bad sectors detected until pasted.
    It seem some DVD out there have been stamped with bad sectors in the first place. (Not enoough to show up when playing but they do when burning)

2. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

woody119
    Yes to that last statement of yours ... it is a new protection scheme. The very latest versions of CloneDVD2 in combination with anyDVD will repace the purposefull bad sectors with blank sectors allowing your backup to continue without flaws.

You have to have the very latest versions of both though. go to their sites and read the version histories.

But is it possible scratches or flaws on the original are causing the prob. if so, polish the original with the "disk doctor" motorized version.

Best regards
    Whisperer

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

woody,

There seems to be a growing trend to prevent DVD backup by using unreadable sectors or hard copy read errors as whisperer mentioned..

There are however ways to circumvent this method.

One is to use a slower read, even at 1x, if your DVD-ROM drive won't do it, try using your burner to read it.

Another way is there are settings in decrypter to make your rip more aggressive. here are a few as posted by my good buddy Pete:

DVD Decrypter can handle even the toughest of encryptions - Don't ever give up on DVD Decrypter, try the following little "adjustments" -

Step 1. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", and then whatever you're using either the File Mode tab OR the ISO Read Mode tab and "tick" "Remove PUO's" - try either the IFO, BUP, PUO's OR the VOB PUO's

Step 2. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", General tab, on the bottom left it will say "Removal Method" choose "Aggressive".

Step 3. in DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings" then choose the CSS tab, under CSS Cracking Method, mark the spot that says "Brute Force -> I/O Exchange".

Finally, again as whiperer mentioned there's AnyDvd, which has a new setting called "copy protection based on unreadable sectors", check this box when encountering such errors. AnyDvd has a free 21 day trial, then it costs 39.00/. It is well worth the price as it runs in the background completely on automatic with nothing to operate. It also works for burning on the fly without writing to the HD 1st..

Use any or all or a combination of these means will usually get around the problem, good luck.....:>).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

whiperer, I have the motorized version of Skip Dr. Man that sucker works great! Don't know if you know this, you probably do, but for those that don't you can refill those bottles with just plain distilled water instead of ordering refills. Works just fine, and saves BIG bucks!...;>)

5. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

I was going to say also that when I have a DVD that cannot be 'read' the problem is usually solved by washing it with either Windex or warm soapy water and gentle towels. . . you know what I mean. The other decode problems I had were solved by using AnyDVD - I am using an older version and I'm sure the new one(s) are/is better.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

xxschizo,

why don't you update? AnyDvd comes out with new updates all the time and informs you when you open the program. The latest version is the only one supporting the copy protection due to hard copy read errors.

The updates are free for registered users :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  7. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

I guess because I use the 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' rule. When I come to a situation where I must update, then I will. But thanks for the info.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I totally understand, i subscribe to that somewhat myself(altho sometimes i let my curiosity get the better of me). But, that's what makes system restore such a handy tool. I always set a restore point before i try anything new :>)

9. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

bigorange
    I'm having such great luck with CloneDVD2 that I don't want to buy and learn DVD Decrypter but those rip modes sound fearsome! cool... I think that is what 321 was attempting to do with their DVDRescue product. It was a dog with flees but Moore never got a chance to develope the product more before he was shut down in the US.

I like your idea of slowing down the rip. maybe putting the burner into PIO mode instead of ultra DMA mode would help slow things down.

Best,

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Whipserer, Decrypter is free, and really easy to use. I don't think I'd change from DMA to PIO tho....unless as a last resort. So far, the methods above have seemed to work on anything out there, so far that is...LOL

11. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

Free!? Free is good! Thanks