1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R from UK won't play??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by twoswords, Feb 22, 2005.

1. twoswords

twoswords Guest

I just recieved a DVD from a friend in UK' He made it on a Panasomic combination machine. I have a Samsung player. Everything I have plays OK but the one he sent will not. He said it played back fine on his machine. Is there a step he has left out say like auto-run for a CD ar is there something I can do with it? Thank you.

2. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Do a google search on DVD region codes.

Do you live in the UK as well?

Your DVD player has a region set (most if not all do)
    and yours and his are not compatible it appears.

There is software that can remove regions you can use.
    Third tab above GUIDES and search are your friends

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

It wont be region , it'll be a fact that it's PAL ... where that creates problems of Region 1 countries [as they're not backward compatible like us in Europe , we are totally able to play NTSC here ;c]-~

4. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

dang you are good....all that cannabis in your sig must be GOOD for ya.

5. herbsman

hehehe

Yes THC is my friend :c)
    [​IMG]
    *THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol)

6. twoswords

twoswords Guest

Thanks for replying. First I am in the US. Next I am a complete newbie. My friend copied this DVD from a VHS tape using a Panasonic DNR-E75VS. I tried to read some of the links but ut is too confusing to sort through all that stuff when I don't understand half of what I am being read(I am legally blind). In short is there a program or service that will make the format conversion which seems to be what you suggest I need?

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If PAL to NTSC is all you need, you may first convert the DVD into .avi or mpeg format (use e.g. ImToo DVD Ripper to do it), then use programs like Nero to burn it, while changing it from PAL to NTSC at the same time:
    At Nero Vision Express, click 'more' at bottom to reveal 'video option', then change the 'video mode'.
    Good luck!

8. twoswords

twoswords Guest

Thank you Sef_au - from your comments it looks like I need a DVD recorder which I do not have. Can my English friend do anything at his end?

9. herbsman

Your friend in England [where I am] will not appreciate you asking him to do the rip ro avi/divx/xvid as NTSC instead of PAL probably cos it takes longer than just ripping the DVD & burning it.
    But you'll have ask !! (we cannot answer that for ya)

When you recieve disc(s) from your buddy from across the pond .. just encode them to DVDR format (as usual)

10. twoswords

twoswords Guest

That's easy for you to say<g>. How do I encode them to Dvd-R format? Told you I was a Newbie - sorry.

11. herbsman

If you get the files as avi/divx/xvid format then use something like MainConcept MPEG Encoder (or similar) like in this screengrab I showed in this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/161772

But set 'video mode' to NTSC instead , then 'convert' [within a minimal amount of time you'll have a MPEG-2 file w/ the correct screen resolution & 48Hz audio ... both of which are DVD complaint].
    Use TMPGEnc DVD Author [free 30 day fully working trial] to convert that MPEG-2 file to VOB format & choose whether to have a self created menu ... make chapter points.
    Burn w/ Nero in DVD-Video mode :)

12. twoswords

twoswords Guest

Thank you. DVD to a CD only type like me is like a Geordie trying to converse with a Welshman. I will follow your directions and hope for the best. Cheers

13. jdw007uk

jdw007uk Member

panasonic dvd recorders record in ram format

I think the samsung model only reads dvd-r this means the samsung reads linear like the old records

ram format puts the information all over the disc so most dvd players struggle to read this format