1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R life

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kenkell, Feb 8, 2005.

1. kenkell

kenkell Member

I'm still new to burning and I read all these posts about certain blank media types crapping out months after the movie is burned on them! I thought the burned movies and what ever else gets burned to the medai could last a very long time? What's the deal here and why does the media crap out after months? I would figure with proper storage they could last a very long time? I use the TDK brand and am switching to Taiyo Yudens soon. what can I expect on all the movie media I've burned to be like in months or years to come? Someone has had to be burning movie files for quite some time to know the answers here. Please enlighten me! Of course I would want these movies to last for years to come for myself and friends! I've burned cd's that have been playing for years now!

2. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

use good quality DVD's like the TY your getting. The TDK might be OK depending on who made them. It's hard to tell how long the data can be stores since burning DVD'd haven't been around that long. If you use TY the have a about a 100year life expaectany, so do verbatim data life plus.

3. Kingd

Kingd Guest

kenkell: The problem with both Cd and DvD media is that they haven't been around long enough to actually know whether the 100 year claim is true or not. I've read articles which claim that those numbers are much lower. I guess we will know for sure in about 50 years haha. Generally speaking, good media like Taiyo Yuden should last if you take care of them. Not sure about the TDK's or other's. You would have to check the manufacturing codes and see who manufactured it. In all likelyhood most cd's should be fine, but there is an escalating probability with cheap manufacturers that their cd's or dvd's might go bad at some point.

4. kenkell

kenkell Member

Thanks guys! I hope to hear more from anyone else whom has opinion. I'm hoping the TDK media is good enough to last quite a few years at least! In 20 years or less there will be something else t take it's place and it won't matter what happens to the dvd anyway. I never thought about buying what I call the cheap, no name brands for fear of having problems burning or not lasting long! I want to enjoy my copies for a very long time that's why I'm doing what the others say and switching to the TY's! No sense making copies if I and my friends can't enjoy them for many years to come!

5. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Try a few years, not 20.

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I started out blindly using memorex, imation, and fujifilm. within six months, all of these disks started crapping out on me. I started using TDK TTG02 over the summer, and those disks are still playing fine. My TY's have been perfect for the 4 months I've been using them. TY brand disks are great. The dye they use and their manufacturing techniques make their disks of very high quality. They should be fine for a long long time. Of course, only time will tell.

7. kenkell

kenkell Member

So, my question is now, just how long has some of you guys been burning movie media and with what DVD R brands and how long have you had burned copies that are still playing flawlessly? I hear about the bad brands lasting only 4 months or so, what about the good brands? Any takers?

8. hctr3

hctr3 Member

I personaly have been burning for about two years. I have used very high quality Dvd's and very low quality Dvd's. Up to this point, I have had zero problems with either not playing. I have some movies such as Finding Nemo, that were burnt on a low quality Dvd's that have been played 80 or 90 times without problems. The kids will turn it on, go play come back again, turn it on....over and over. I have just started hearing about this problem so I went back to one of the first disks I burnt and watched it. Played perfectly. So who is to say. Does anyone actualy have a burnt dvd that has quit working due to time passing?

9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

A great number of people, myself included, using memorex have.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005