1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd r media how long will last

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by giraff36, Jun 19, 2004.

1. giraff36

giraff36 Member

i bought some dvd-r on the market says grade a media cost about 13 pound for a spindle not sure how many ive burnt about 15 films with hardly any problems says made in taiwan and dye on the disc is purple so will they last or is it how long is a piece of string
    should i just buy verbatim or ritek

thank you

2. shooter

shooter Member

This is a question a lot of people have asked, and I have not heard a solid answer yet, because I dont think there really is one. DVD media has not been around long enough to really be sure how long it will last. When it first came out, some said 20 years, some stated 99 plus. It has not really gotten any clearer since then.
    It has been found however that how you care for your DVDs has more to do with how long they last than anything else. (Or so I have found anyway.) Not exposing them to sunlight, heat, dust, finger oils, all of these things will break down the dye base on the disk, OR, will cause it to warp, in the case of heat, and render it useless in most cases.
    I personally still use CDs I burned myself on my first 2X CD burner.<LAUGH> And they still work fine. But DVD media is much more "tender", as it stores a lot more data than a CD does. So a TINY defect in a DVD "can" render it useless. As "can" a finger print, if left on it, and IF your body chemicals are acidic enough to burn into the dye layer.
    Again, more IFs, ORs, etc..<LAUGH> It is recommended to store each DVD in a hard case, in a cool place. I however have always stored mine in those zip up 36 or 72 disk cases many use in their car for their cds. I just check to make sure they are soft enough inside that they will not damage the DVDs I put in them is all. Then I store them in my humidity controlled gun safe. I have not had any fail, SO FAR, but for how long they will LAST, your guess is as good as any another.<smile>
    In my opinion anyway.<LAUGH>
    Good luck to you,
    Shooter==>>

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I believe Verbatim says 100 years.

4. colw

colw Active member

Problem is none of us will be around in 100 years to test the varacity of their assertations.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Not cheap! You lucky son of a gun ;)

giraff36,

I believe your question (and many, many more) is covered here:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nephilim, pretty cool site.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Isn't it cool? Everything you wanted to know and then some :)