1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+/-R Media Prices Dropping

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Berge, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Berge

Berge Member

I have been keeping an eye on Dual Layer Media and was pleased today when I noticed in my local Comp USA, here in the U.S., that the price had dropped.

A pack of 3 Verbatim DVD+R DL media was priced at $11.99 and a pack of 3 Memorex DVD+R DL was priced at $14.99. This is good considering last week they were priced near $8.50 per disk, now you can get a DL disk for $4.00!

I believe the price descrepancy was due to Jewel vs. no Jewel cases. Has anyone else noticed price drops this week in the U.S. or other parts of the world?

2. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

I haven't noticed any prices that low, but then again, I'm not ready to shell out anywhere near 3 or 4 dollars for a single disc. I'm totally satisfied with US$0.40 to US$0.60 top notch single layer blank media. Compression technology is more than adequate for my needs, so I don't see myself switching to dual layer media unless and until the cost is not significantly more than single layer. That being said, I did buy a three-pack of Verbatim dual-layer media (about US$28) a couple of months ago just to try it out. So far, I've used two of them with no problem.

Regards,

DF

3. Ffred

Ffred Member

Man

Dual layer so far is only good for large backups, and the odd movie that you may need to back up. No way would I use it as a common media unless it dropped to the same price as single layer, and remember the burn will take forever! I have a relativley new drive listed at only 2.4 for dual layer so look at 30 + mins per disk. Long way to go for that media.
    Made over 335 backups for me, friends and family using much cheaper media, that didn't require DL.

Ffred

4. Berge

Berge Member

I agree with both of you. I'm still not willing to pay $4.00 to burn a DL DVD. I was just pleased that prices have fallen by over half! This is good news and it could mean that in the near future, we'll see prices drop belows $1.00. That may peak my interest!

With that said, it would mean single layer DVD's could drop below $.40 to perhaps $.10! Either way, everyone wins when a new media is developed and released... except the companies that have to re-tool and develope the new media also. :)

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Berge, where did you see the DL media you mentioned for that price at compusa? I just checked this week's ad and online, but the DL 3 pks of verbatim and memorex are all $19.99. The sony DL 2 pk was $24.99 and the single DL memorex was $8.99.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  6. Berge

Berge Member

Where did I see those prices? I actually went into the store just to price compare. It wasn't on any sale, it was just priced for $11.99 for the 3 pack. Also, you're right; the web-site has them listed for $19.99.

I wonder if it is just my area. Anyone else see any similar pricing?

7. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

try www.pricewatch.com see what they have for prices

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I just checked the prices at all the southern Cali CompUsa stores and the prices are the same as online.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  9. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Oh well it would be nice to burn a dvd uncompressed with the menu's 1:1...it will come in time then blue ray will be here lol

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

So, you haven't backed up to dual layer yet? Oh by the way, pricewatch is pretty pricy.

11. Berge

Berge Member

I checked last night at my local Wal-Mart and the prices there were $28.99 for the same 3 pack of verbatim! Perhaps I should start my own mail order business! This CompUSA is like a little island of cheap DL DVD's!

12. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Man! That is crazy to spend on media. I would not get into dvd-r's until they hit a dollar a disk...why bother that is nuts

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If you think dual layered media is expensive,just wait till you try buying blank blu-ray. madgreek....opps I mean nohelpme

14. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

That would be many many years...dvd-r and + are here to stay. Blue ray would be sweet...but a long time off

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Are you serious?

16. xwings

xwings Member

I just bought 3 pack of verbatim yesterday (april 3)and it's was $19.99 (I live in Connecticut.)
    Last week 3pack DL memorex was on sale for $11.99 but it was gone by the time I got there.

I just want to try it out. I will never spend that much money on blank media ever again. I really hope the price comes down soon. I just read that the Minus RW is working on DL. Why even bother ? Plus DL came out over a year and nobody can afford blank media.
    Blue ray is just around the corner. I don't think it will even get a chance to breath.

17. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I think Blu-ray will be Sony's minidisc and laserdisc of this generation - dead on arrival. It made sense to upgrade one's movie collection and home videos from VHS to DVD, but Sony is mistaken if they think people will upgrade their massive DVD collection once again so they can see 1970s films in high-def quality. HD-DVD by Hitachi at least has a chance because it won't require people to buy a new DVD player to watch HD-DVDs, and people can just buy the new movies in the HD-DVD format. I think that's why Sony is already conceding to the HD-DVD format out later this year by trying to build an alliance with HD-DVD backers. As for D/L discs, I can get almost 10 S/L discs for the price of one D/L disc (coasters are quite expensive). When prices for D/L media reach 50 cents in 2 years, I'll care. ;)

18. Berge

Berge Member

You're right about buying DL till prices are down, but with current trends and new media releases, I think We'll see DL under a dollar before Christmas of 05'. However, I'd be willing to pay $1.00 US for DL due to its double capacity, but most likely I will not buy DL till then. Not that anyone cares what I buy or when.

Oh - Had to edit this post for a nod on your Laserdisc/Minidisc statement. It'll come and it'll go, while the rest of us purchase something that is more universally standard. Sony makes some good crap, but setting media trends hasn't been their strong point.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005