1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R media question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jayzad, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jayzad

jayzad Member

Can DVD-R media be written to on both sides of disk?
    thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. jayzad

jayzad Member

So are you saying that there is two kinds of DVD-R's, single and double sided? And is the double sided kind recommended for use in backing up DVD movies?
    Reason I asked was what I read in this sites glossary, see below.

DVD-R
    Full description not available yet.

A DVD Forum (the industry body that controls the development of DVD formats) approved recordable DVD format.

Format allows single-layer data to be stored on each side of the disc -- in other words, one side of the disc can hold upto 4.38 gigabytes of information

(NOT 4.7GB what the disc labels claim -- 4.7GB is achieved by tweaking the numbers and using 1,000 in calculations between megabyte and gigabyte, when the correct number to be used should be 1,024). This poses a problem when backing up pressed DVD-Video discs that can hold dual-layer worth of data per side, 8.5GB. Those discs need to be split to two DVD-R discs if all the information has to be preserved from the original disc.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are several types of blank discs and some can confuse you. There are single layer blanks listed as 4.7 gig(actually hold 4.36 gig). There are dual layer discs that have double the capacity on one side. This is the newest format. There are also dual sided flipper discs that are 4.7 gig on each side. Most of the newer,longer, purchased dvd movies are of the dual layer type with about 8.5 gig on one side. You will need a dual layer burner to use the new dual layer blank discs. Hope this didn't confuse you more.

Jerry

Hi Frank haven't talked to you for awhile.

5. jayzad

jayzad Member

Thank you for the information. I just did not know there were double side DVD-R 4.7g disk. Which ones do you think most peopel use to copy their DVD movies? The signle or double sided 4.7.
    thanks again.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My guess is about 80 to 90% usage of the single layer-single sided blanks. They are the most common and the cheapest cost wise.

Jerry