1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by marin001, Sep 21, 2004.

1. marin001

marin001 Member

just out of curiosity i have been reading about what media to us when making dvd's, i am currently using ritek g04, but noticed they also have ritek g05, is g05 better then g04. as i am still getting freezes, pixelations, skips on my dvd's, any ideas people....
    (using i/o magic dvd+/-R-rw, dvd shrink, dvd decryp for burning).

2. neco69

neco69 Guest

I also have the same problem. A week ago a was using the same Ritek G04 and they all were coasters I still have a few left. Before I had the same media that I bought at a difrent location and they all were good. no coaster out of 50. Note: never buy at Blank-CD-CDR.com.. this has been the 2nd time and I will not buy from them again. On the other hand i found that Supermediastore.com has been good. Ritek is making some really bad media, they are not consistant in cuality. I guess you can maby get one or two coasters but not all... Anyone with a good suguestion on a reliable media?...

3. marin001

marin001 Member

i had bought mine from meritline which i thought should be a save place to purchase things from as this place has them listed. i quess i should do the same thing and try another place.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you fellows using branded Ritek such as RiDATA? i personally don't like or trust meritline and purchase all my RiDATAs through http://newegg.com or http://rima.com .

I've burned more than my fair share of RiDATA without one single bad burn as have many others here.

A person can get poor results with otherwise good media by using an out of date firmware, not having DMA enabled, burning too fast etc etc.

5. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

Is there a big difference between the Ritek DVDs and the RIDATA? What about the RICOHPN I keep seeing? The TDK and Sony DVD-R is on sale at my local retail store. Not sure if I should buy these or the Riteks. Please help. Thanks.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The ricohjpn's are made by ritek at ricoh's specs. You might say ritek's tools and ricoh's blueprints. Ritek uses ricoh's technology to produce their own dvd+r's. I personally have better results with the ricoh's (no more freezing problems), but you have got to remember that they are dvd+r media and may not be as compatable as the dvd-r's.

7. neco69

neco69 Guest

Nephilim: What drive/software are you using?.

8. jase

jase Guest

Bear in mind with Ritek that the NEC2500A/2510A have had some problems with lesser-spec Ritek media.

I've found that, usually, even the bad reject Ritek will burn acceptably well with a Pioneer A06 or A07.

9. Nephilim

With the RiDATA there's much better assurance that you're getting Grade A media whereas with the unbraded Riteks you have little to no assurance.

Burner: Plextor PX-708A

Burning Software:

Nero 6 Ultra
    Orlogix RecordNow DX
    CloneDVD 2
    Copy To DVD
    Burn At Once
    DVD Decrypter

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  10. neco69

neco69 Guest

Nephilim: nice setup.. with Plextor there is almost no burning problems.. Update on the DVD-R Ridata and DVD-R Prodisc: I just got the prodisc and did not have any problems. I checked the disk after burning and it came out 100% ok. This seems to prove atleast that the Ridata Branded 4x Media is bad and unreliable and would suggest anyone with similar problem to test with other media before any assumption. In many cases it is the Media. As most know, Ritek at one point made good media but, now it's just unreliable...

11. Nephilim

In your case but not everyone's.

12. djkilla

djkilla Member

Interesting. PRODISC is quickly gaining popularity and a good reputation for making quality media.

-D j K i l l a-

13. huttoboy

huttoboy Member

I've been using 321 DVDXpress since Feb. to make backup copies. I was having a lot of problems playing them.
    I read all I could at http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm[ftp][/ftp] I also d/l'ed www.dvdinfopro.com and checked out a few burned copies that I was having freezing and pixalization problems with (that was an Eye-Opener). I also had bought some Office-depot 2 for 1 DVD-R's and found out they were RITEK G04's using dvdinfopro to read them. I was happy about that.

I learned how dvd's were made at digitalfag and how dyes are applied, and that the quality of the disk is more important than the price. I learned that dvd's burn from the center to the edge and that most problems people have are in the last few minutes of the movie..........that's where most of my problems occur !!!!

After many hours using DVDINFOPRO and setting in front of the dvd player in the chevy surburban (ran battery dead-SOB) I think I have a better understanding of what the seasoned members mean when they say "media quality is very important".

So far I have a mix of: VDSPMSAB, ONIDTECH, CMC-MAG, LONGTEN, and PRODISCS03 media (digitalfag list all these as GARBAGE).........all of which were purchased on E-bay for about 23 cents each. All have varying degrees of problems. My number one prority is being able to play in the Suburban. Some play all the way through, some freeze, some are jerky with pixilation, and some display "disk play error". Some will play fine on my Sony in the house which drives me crazy .

So, after reading a lot of posts and reading the report at Digital-FAG about how disk are made and the best media to buy/use, I went and bought some Maxell's from Wal-mart thinking they would solve all my problems. They play 80-90% on my home Sony, will not play at all on the RCA at work, and will play about 10% in the SUB. I get "disk play error" almost 100% of time in the sub. I was at a complete loss.

A friend gave me a 15 pack of Verbatim from Sam's club a while back so I gave them a try. Voooola !!!!!! After 24 burn's, it appears I might have found the DISK OF CHOICE

They played on my home system, played ALL THE WAY TO THE END of disk in suburban without any problems, and played on the RCA at work. Will continue to evaluate Verbatim, but so far I am very optomistic !!! Looks like I will be starting over........about 150 copies to go.

RitekG04's (in the SUV)................didn't work for me at all........about the same result's as with the Maxell's.

Hope this helps........don't buy cheap, it's not worth it compared to the amount of time you put into making your copies.

14. huttoboy

huttoboy Member

marin 001
    I also have an I/O Magic external dvd burner that I bought from Office Depot.....I like it.

15. jase

jase Guest

Actually that's not quite true. DigitalFAQ list ProdiscS03 in the same category as RitekG04.

From personal experience, I concur that CMC and especially LongTen are poor media, VDSPMSAB is impossible to judge because the code refers to a manufacturer of stamping equipment not a dye type or manufacturer, and discs with this media type can vary from pretty good to terrible. Onidtech I have not come across so cannot comment, and ProdiscS03 I've found to be very good.

Also bear in mind that compatibility and quality are two different things. A poor quality disc can still be very compatible -- and an excellent quality disc can still give trouble with marginal players. Bad compatibility is as much an indictment of your burner and player as the media itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
  16. Nephilim

Oh, I like that one.

17. marin001

marin001 Member

nephilim is that true what jase said??

18. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

We all have been through the "MEDIA" search. When you find it good, keep it good. TDK-R4x is my choice for my Medion desktop/Gateway laptop. Fuji/Verb movie reel are my backup discs.

19. Nephilim

I don't know what part you're referring to but I find nothing disagreeable in his post.

20. marin001

marin001 Member

i am thinking that maybe its my burner??? it does well on cd-r's