1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Movies on PS2 not by brand of disc...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by OniLink55, May 29, 2003.

1. OniLink55

OniLink55 Member

Everybody says that you need certain discs to play back up DVD-R movies on PS2. But I just got a bootleg of the new Matrix from somebody on DVD. I made copies of it on crappy COMP USA brand DVD-Rs. These work on my PS2 and Xbox fine.
    When I burned Super Troopers though to the same media, it only works on stand alone DVD players and not on my PS2 or Xbox.
    So the copy that I made of the new Matrix, I'm not sure what the disc is. It may be a good quality DVD-R but then when I burn it to a crap DVD-R it still works fine. That doesn't make any sense to me. Does anybody have any idea why this happens?

And is there anything you can do to the DVD-R to get it to work in the PS2 or Xbox systems?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Too be honest with you, princo dyes, with the're dep purple, tend to like the PS2. If you want a disk for the XBox - buy the cheapest as they always tend to work!

3. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

Chances are that the dude probably threw in a menu with the matrix cuz it was probably just an mpeg layer 1 or an avi that got off the net and used dvd architect or some other prog to make it work and ur dvd backups, you just ripped the movie vobs right? Dvd-r backups dont work in ps2s unless you have a menu.

4. OniLink55

OniLink55 Member

He did have a menu. A stupid bland menu. But everybody says that you have to use a certain kind of media to get things to boot. Say I make a menu, that simply says Play, can I add it to all DVD-Rs and now it will boot?

5. wejamn

wejamn Member

yo guys, i dont know wut ur talkin about. My ps2 will play any dvd without a menu. I just use dvd shrink, re author, select only the video file, compress, burn and wola! Plays perfect!

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

wejamn is right, no menu needed. Ive used tdk, memorex, verbatim, and princo (end of the movies froze because princo is crap). What process did you use to backup super troopers? i use dvd shrink, then nero (yes i use the wizard :p) and every single one of my backups work in my ps2.

7. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

It does also have to do w/ the software for the PS2, b/c I have two PS2's that were purchased about a year apart and the newer one doesn't play DVD-R's, while the older one plays them just fine. The fact that it has played a DVD-R before and worked for you previously, but doesn't work all the time seems to be odd. Have you tried DVD+R b/c I have heard that those tend to work better in PS2's.

8. signal

signal Guest

golden 35, ps2 will play dvd-r backups withought a menu, i have a dvd-r backup copy of the scorpion king withought a movie that works fine in the ps2. but it wont work in all dvd players. well if one thing works, the other will not right. i use dvd x copy express v321.