1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R movies that old DVD players can read?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dark_g, Sep 28, 2004.

1. dark_g

dark_g Guest

I've read most of the forum and got some of my answers. Thanks afterdawn.com and all of the supporters. Since I have all the essentials to back up my U.S.A. DVD movies now, one problem still remains. My DVD backup movies doesn't seem to play in my old DVD player (2000 model). Is there a way to burn the DVD movie backups to a DVD-R or DVD+R so that my old DVD player can read them too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Currently, I'm using an E-Machines notebook with an AMD Athlon XP-M 2+GHz, 512 DDR Memory, 60 Gig HD, 80 Gig Seagate external HD (firewire), and burning my DVD's with a Plextor dual format external DVD burner (firewire). Software is Windows XP, Roxio Easy CD Creator, Nero, and DVD Shrink.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Question is ... can your dvd player play backups? Check here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Also Roxio and Nero have been know to fight with each other. You really should uninstall both, pick one (I recommend Nero), and reinstall. I'm also going to assume they are OEM versions of Nero and Roxio, right?

3. dark_g

dark_g Guest

Well, that's the problem. I don't know if the old DVD player is able to play DVD backups (DVD (- +) R's). It's and old DVD player from back in the days, like almost 5 years old now. Actually, to make things more clear, I have the silly 2000 RCA model that played both DIVX & DVD's. It's old, but still useful. Are there programs that can burn DVD backups where that old RCA DVD player can read them also?

4. dark_g

dark_g Guest

...oh yeah...and I found out the hard way that having both does have conflicts with my laptop, including the internal DVD drive. Thanks for the info though. I only use Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator now. Any clue on how to make the DVD backups play on the old RCA DVD player?

5. flip218

funny that you ask :) I have an old RCA model RC5215P, and backups made using XCopy, Shrink, Decrypter, Nero, etc ... would not work.

But ... backups made with CloneDVD2 do work. You should try it. You can use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 (full versions) free for 21 days. If you buy both it's $65 U.S.
    http://slysoft.com/en/download.html

6. dark_g

dark_g Guest

oh really?...both those programs should work huh? I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info...I'll get back to you if it worked or not...

7. flip218

CloneDVD2 is the main program, it doesn't remove copy protection. That is what AnyDVD is for. If you don't want to buy AnyDVD, you can use DVD Decrypter with CloneDVD.

Rip with Decrypter first (file mode), then run the files through CloneDVD. I also set my burn speed in CloneDVD2 to burn at 4x :)

8. dark_g

dark_g Guest

Thanks again for the much needed info. Can I ask, how did you get to know all this info on DVD recording? Is it...um...your profession? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. But, thanks again and I'll try it out and let you know what happens.

9. flip218

lol ... No, acutally learned most of it from here :) And trial and error. Mostly trial :)