1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R not playing in stand alone dvd player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adamf555, Jan 25, 2004.

1. adamf555

adamf555 Member

Greetings to all. I am a newbie. Recently, I ripped pirates to my harddrive with decrypter. I then used shrink so it would fit on one disc. I then used Nero Ultra to burn it back on a dvd. It seemed simple enough. Although the disc will play on my computer, it will not play on either of my stand alones. One of my stand alone is less than one year old with all the bells and whistles. It should play anything. Anyone run into this problem with Nero?? Any help would be appriciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

adamf555,

Nero sometimes will have problems sometimes, delete it through control panel then reinstall it.

It could also be your media, if you still have difficulties. Go to a top grade disc, Ritek or Verbatim are good choices :D

Lastly, recheck your compatibility - thinking that it will play everything is different than knowing it :)

Use this link - ->
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Pete

Ooohh Ya, Welcome to the Neighborhood -

3. Frith

Frith Member

I actually just backed up my copy of Pirates today. With no problems. It worked on my PC, on a new (2004) Phillips brand DVD player and on a very old (1999) GE cheap as-can-be DVD player. I used Maxell DVD+R 4x disk from Walmart (10 for $20) on a Pioneer DVD+/-RW DVR-106 burner.

I used DVDShrink 3.1.3 and choose the "burn with Nero" option

I have a number of burning softwares on my PC, but the only Nero I have is Nero 6. DVDShrink does not open Nero on my screen when the burn process is activated, so I am not sure if there is some sort of Nero addition to DVDShrink (I doubt it) or if DVDShrink can open the files needed from Nero without actually opening Nero.

Either way, I feel blessed to have found AfterDawn a couple of days ago to learn of DVDShrink for the first time. Many DVD+R's were wasted on DVD X Copy, DVD Clone, etc......

Try again with DVDShrink 3.1.3 and Use good media. If that does not help, Try it with Nero 6. Good luck.

4. adamf555

adamf555 Member

Thank you for your replies. I will start by reinstalling Nero. I am also going to purchase a brand name dvd-rw so I can reuse it if the second attempt does not work. I hope it works for me. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

adamf555,

Just remember that most standalone players don't like RW media. Use the RW to practice with. When you feel good about your technique, burn a single write to use on your players -

Also, what I'd like you to do is to get the latest version of Shrink - that's DVDShrink 3.1.4 nbeta0 -

Here is the link -
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/scripts/downloadhero/3-7-52/

BTW - Nero does not have an addition to Shrink !

Shrink uses Nero "behind the scenes" to do the burn, the Nero window doesn't need to be open for it to be used :) Ain't life Grand :)))

"P"