1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? DVD-R only for DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sezuni, Dec 12, 2004.

1. sezuni

sezuni Member

Hey!
    I just want to verify something that I was missing reading through all of these threads. I just went back to the original dvdshrink page (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm)and had missed the first line: DVD Shrink is a versatile freeware tool for fitting a DVD-Video disc on a single DVD-R.
    Right here it states that only -r media can be used. I have seen conflicting info in regards to -r vs +r. In some thread I read something to the extent of most of the users use -r and someone replying that +r is ok but what is most important is the brand. I have followed all of the instructions Scuba Pete has put together and made a backup that my computer could read on a +rw - which would negate my question but I cannot backup successfully on Verbatim DataLife DVD+R. I have backed disks with xcopy express but when I ran into trouble I went looking for a better solution.
    So my question is, "Can only -r disks be used with dvdshrink?"
    Thanks.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from cd-r(w) media*

Try to post in the appropriate forum next time.

The answer is no. I only use +R(RW) media.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  3. sezuni

sezuni Member

Sorry, I realized my mistake right after I posted.
    Thanks.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello sezuni, Most of my backups are on the + format with dvd shrink and nero 6.0. The format shouldn't matter whether it is + or -...The main thing is where are those backups going to play? Some say older standalones will only play - newer ones play +. I have no problems with those issues as i have a quality burner and use high quality media and burn at 4x or lower.+ or -, shrink will do them both.Those verbatim data life discs are made by different manufacturers. I ran into mcc and ricohjpn on the 3 different batches I use. There is quite bit of quality between those two companies. Being able to burn both formats is an asset.Hope this helps you out. Quality media is the key. Later

5. sezuni

sezuni Member

thanks!