1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R only?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sezuni, Dec 12, 2004.

1. sezuni

sezuni Member

Hey!
    I just want to verify something that I was missing reading through all of these threads. I just went back to the original dvdshrink page (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm)and had missed the first line: DVD Shrink is a versatile freeware tool for fitting a DVD-Video disc on a single DVD-R.
    Right here it states that only -r media can be used. I have seen conflicting info in regards to -r vs +r. In some thread I read something to the extent of most of the users use -r and someone replying that +r is ok but what is most important is the brand. I have followed all of the instructions Scuba Pete has put together and made a backup that my computer could read on a +rw - which would negate my question but I cannot backup successfully on Verbatim DataLife DVD+R. I have backed disks with xcopy express but when I ran into trouble I went looking for a better solution.
    So my question is, "Can only -r disks be used with dvdshrink?" The forum is called DVD-R.
    Thanks.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

All my burns with DVDShrink have been with DVD+Rs. I think the only reason you have forum headings like DVD-R here is because DVD-Rs were out first. If I were you, I'd decrypt to the hard drive first, then see if you can play the VIDEO_TS directory using a PC DVD player like PowerDVD. I doubt it's your media. BTW, I've been having trouble backing up newer DVDs lately too. At first, the problem was my ASPI file being corrupt (discovered through Nero InfoTool). Now I suspect it's something intentionally created by the MPAA to thwart copying because the file structure is really strange.

3. sezuni

sezuni Member

Thanks.