1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r OR dvd+R for Version 4 ps2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dcall7, Jul 24, 2003.

1. dcall7

dcall7 Member

sort of a newbie to ps2 backing up. I have a v4 system, and currently installing the DMS3 Modchip. Heard that only some v4's will play dvd+r and some wont? Looking to verify whether i should purchase dvd+r's or dvd-r's for my v4 machine. Thanks.

Don

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

if you get a -r you will have no problem at all but if you get a +r then you are leaving it to chance so it seems obvious to me... why take the chance get a -r and enjoy the benifits of more compatability and cheaper media

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I have a ver.4 ps2 and it plays dvd+r just fine, movies and games. I like dvd+r better, since i seem to have better luck with them. Standard burn speed for +r is 2.4, while -r is 2.0. It's not really true that -r are cheaper. Most every case I have seen th e+r are the same price as -, sometimes less. A good example of this is in this weeks best Buy ad.....25 memorex +r's for 29.99, while the -r's are 49.99.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

+r is more costly it is a proven fact almost every site has it that way (best buy may show it being more expensive but it is most likely due to a different variable ie higher burn speed)

as for speed if we are compairing speed you can get a 4x -r media so it has it beat there

and it is more compatable (and not just with ps2's) sure lots of v4s will work with it but many people have problems as well

5. dcall7

dcall7 Member

yeah i think i will definitely go with the -r's. my local best buy has them cheap enough for me.

im not 100% but i came to the conclusion that the GT3 edition ps2 (which is a v4) is the one v4 that has no problems with +r's. maybe thats the case for jay33? who knows

ill def go with the -r's though.

thanks guys

6. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

Decal how do you tell if your system is a GT3 system?

7. dcall7

dcall7 Member

theres not really a way, its either a gt3 addition or not. when you bought the ps2 did it come with the game GranTurismo 3?

if so, its a GT3 addition.

8. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yea dcall go wit -r. I heard from some guy that dvd-r is more for burning games, and dvd+r is more for burning video dvd's. Personally i use dvd+r because my Hp dvd 200i only supports +r. It sux because the media is somtimes more expensive. I'm sure the prices will go down in a few months.

9. dcall7

dcall7 Member

alright sounds good

thanks goodfella

10. 3partsgin

3partsgin Member

Does anyone know if you can play DVD-r or DVD+r backups on a version 1 PS2, I can't remember what my verion # is, so for arguments sake lets say it's a version 1 as I got mine when they originally came out.
    Also, it has a NEO mod chip installed, bought when I got the console but again don't know the type although it would be an early chip.

11. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

DVD-R works on all version ps2's. DVD+R doesn't work on v1-3.

12. cHiBaNgEl

cHiBaNgEl Guest

13. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I doubt it, it just sounds like it will read the backups easier if the ps2 is modified. It said it would read any type of dvd media i.e. dvd+/-r and dvd+/-rw but the thing is that no matter how powerful the laser or more compatible the system maybe it will still check to see if the game is legit when you boot it up and if it isn't it won't boot. Therefore you will still have to make some sort of modification to it._X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.
    Fliptop Cover/smd[/small]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  14. cHiBaNgEl

cHiBaNgEl Guest

aww but i want a quieter fan...and progressive dvd scan...and to be able to play all those dvd formats.

so wut's so special about the new version of the PS2 being able to play those diff dvd formats?

wut is the point?

15. happy3sum

happy3sum Member

Hi All!

I am having a problem copying PS2 games using a Fuji FIlm DVD-R+ media. The backed up game just hangs (on the 'INSERT DISC screen) after pressing 'X' on the PS2 controller (after I loaded the Swap Magic DVD boot disk).

So it is the media, or do I have another issue here?

Thanks!

16. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I don't think it's the brand because I use fujifilm all the time and haven't had one coaster. It must be the way you burned it._X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2003
  17. cHiBaNgEl

cHiBaNgEl Guest

this brings me to my next question.

how exactly do you burn ps2 game dvds?

can i just stick the game into my dvd burner and copy it to another dvd?

18. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

What you do is first just put the game you want to burn in your dvd drive and use a program like Nero, Alcohol 120%, RecordNow Max, or Using DVD Decrypter to burn an image file of the game to your hard disk. After your burn an image file to your Hard Drive you put a blank dvd r in your dvd burner and burn the image file to that blank dvd r. Guides on how to use these various programs to copy dvd games can be found on this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105_X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.

19. happy3sum

happy3sum Member

Hanedrick,

I did exactly like you noted, using DVD Decrypter. Again, it just hangs in the 'INSERT DISC' screen after I load the SwapMagic Disc. Any other ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

20. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

happy3sum, when you press x does the screen get a red, green, or blue border and then freeze or does it just freeze without the screen getting some sort of colored border?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]You are probably wondering how I came up with the name Hanedrick. Well... the name Hanedrick is a very distorted version of my sisters name and I call her that whenever I want to get on her nerves which is like 24/7.
    Version 5 ps2.