1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R or DVD-R?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jaycock, Jan 16, 2003.

1. jaycock

jaycock Guest

I want to backup my DVD movies, but I am not sure which DVD media is most widely compatible with stand-alone DVD players. Looking at the specifications of many models out there, most of them say that they support DVD+RW and DVD-R, but don't mention DVD+R. Does this mean that most stand-alone DVD players won't read DVD+R media?

2. pcexpress

pcexpress Member

I have similar question...

assuming my stand alone player can handle both plus and minus formats... should I just go with the cheaper priced (high quality brand) -R format for backing up movies? (I have a combo hp 200e drive.)

Is there anything which would make one format better then other. +R over -R (I know +R supports packet writting or the like) but I am not sure if that is relevent to nero/diskxcopy disk to disk copy?

So should I get the -R's for 0.70 cents?

3. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

Please use search before asking questions... but

jaycock-Most don't, buy dvd-r

pcexpress-If it sounds like too good of a deal to be true... it probably is

4. AIDEN

AIDEN Guest

lol, j2hugger. how do you know this ?
    the statistics are plain and simple. dvd+r offers better performance over dvd-r.
    for one the speed at which it writes is much faster, you dont need to finalise the disk for it to be read anomg other things, dunna get me wrong im not putting dvd-r down or anything
    i have the pioneer 103 and the philips 228+r writer.
    i think youll find a lot of incompatability problems due to the media thats used.

www.vcdhelp.com
    www.dvd-recordable.org

check the sites out. they cant all be liers

5. vinman

vinman Member

6. xgasman

xgasman Member

But I bet they'll have to support both types if they want to sell their software to the most people.