1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R or DVD-R

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by awesome22, Nov 14, 2004.

1. awesome22

awesome22 Guest

Hm. I have been wondering for some time.. which media would PS2 run better on, DVD+R or DVD-R, for a V10 PS2. I know that earlier version only supports -R, while the newer ones support DVD+R as well. So would the newer version of PS2 runs +R better than -R than? Just wondering ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
  2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

both work just fine if you get a good brand such as ritek. i use +R ritek on my version 10 with no problems at all.

3. bigdadoz

bigdadoz Member

Is it possible to play back-up copies without a mod chip? I thought playing back-up copies would be the way to go (prevent your original copy from every getting damaged). DVD+R media, PS2 verision ?. Backing up with Sonic RecordNow V7.0.

4. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

no you must have some sort of mod such as a modchip or swap magic discs in order to play backup copies.

5. bigdadoz

bigdadoz Member

Thanks. I'm beginning to think that it is cheaper to buy two game copies instead of backing up.

6. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

not really, conisdering a new game is about 50 dollars and a top of the line matrix infinity is 50 dollars or 100 if you dont want to install it yourself i think it is alot cheaper to get it chipped. if you have a DVD burner it would be about 60 for a good chip, 15 to ship the ps2 to get it chipped, and about 30 for 50 blank dvds. so that would be about the cost of 2 new games.

7. 916Prince

916Prince Member

But then theres the cost of a DVD Burner...unless you already have one...

8. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

still, its much cheaper to have a chip.

9. 916Prince

916Prince Member

It all depends on how many games you have...

If you only have a couple of games, then backing them up will cost you more than the actual cost of games...

Since you already have a DVD Burner, a modchip or a boot disk would be a wise decision.

10. Diesel04

Diesel04 Guest

I have a version 3 and my friend has a version 5 PS2. We couldn't get a single DVD-R working on both of our PS2. I went through Ritek G04 and G05, Taiyo Yuden, and Fujifilm. All failed on me. When I switched to DVD+R it finally worked.

11. 916Prince

916Prince Member

I thought PS2 had trouble reading DVD+R...not DVD-R...

I mean, the older versions had trouble reading DVD+R...funny...

12. MrStoner

MrStoner Member

i have an older version ps2, its a couple of years old, mine wont play dvd-r's even if its a dvd movie, just get one of each and test it out, then go with the one that works best

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think the Dvd+R are the better way to go,not really as for reading problems.I think it is mainly for the fact that the Dvd9 discs are only on Dvd+R.If your system can pick up Dvd+R then you should be in good hands for when bigger games come out.It isn't really for ripping game purposes,but for actually have the full game on disc.I like backing up the full games so I tend to use these more so my system adjusts more to them.