1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by 2002z06, Dec 6, 2004.

1. 2002z06

2002z06 Member

I'm a little new to this, my main question when to use what format, say HD backup, copying old VHS tapes to a DVD, music, photos. I realize if your doing a DVD copy you have to use same as source yes or no?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

This question gets asked over and over again. If you talk to 10 people you will probably get 10 different answers. This is just my opinion so take it as that. I have burned movies on both formats. I see no difference in quality on either format. The main thing to think about when buying blank media is what machines are you going to play these copies back on. If they are older players(2-3 years old) then you will more than likely need -R format since that is what most older players played. Newer machines play both formats. If you are going to let friends borrow your copies my best suggestion is burn -R. Thats all I use these days and usually don't have problems in any machine they are played on. Just remember to ALWAYS buy high quality blank media. The cheaper stuff will give you problems burning and during playback. Some cheap media degrades in 6 months even though you make a good copy. Its all up to you but the actual format doesn't really matter.
    Hope this helps some.

Jerry

3. 2002z06

2002z06 Member

Thanks, if a DVD movie is identified as a being on a DVD- I can rip it to DVD+ after decryption

4. saul45

saul45 Member

I find DVD-R are the most reliable. They play on all sorts of different machines and I have not had a problem with them yet. Never use the budget and super cheap costing discs though, its really not worth it.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If your PC can read either format then you can rip both types and copy on either + or- as long as you have a dual format burner. You can go either way, + to - or - to +. It doesn't matter once the movie is ripped to the HD.

Jerry