1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mmitsch, Dec 27, 2004.

1. mmitsch

mmitsch Member

This is probably a common question, but which media is better for burning DVD's and watching them on a home DVD player?

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

mainly matter of preference and what your dvd player will play
    - format used to be king for compatibility reasons, but now MOST dvd players play both formats

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I have been using DVD+Rs exclusively, and I have never had a compatibility issue with a home DVD player. I bought an old Panasonic DVD player back in '97 and it has no problem reading DVD+Rs, so the 'higher compatibility of DVD-Rs' issue is pretty much dead with me. Also, Nero will set the booktype for DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM if you burn DVDs. If anything, media quality is more important as to whether your player will have problems reading it.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

I share the same opinions as DogBomb, I use DVD+R all the time now and haven't used DVD-R for over a year now.

5. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

really? even the faq said to use dvd-r and i remember another post said to use dvd-r's. should i switch to dvd+r's?

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

if your machine records either and your player works with dvd+r choose whichever is the better deal ! If you are making copies of home movies- weddings ,birthday parties , whatever to give to others you might want to use dvd-r as it might be a little more compatable with older units! but as others have said even that has become practically a non issue! if you are making backups of games/movies to play/playback on ps-2 the brands & types of media may be important from what I've heard -playstation 2's can be picky about media!- in the end my friend it's up to you! Choose wisely Grasshopper- When you can snatch the pebble from my hand it will be time to go! LOL! -Time to Go! peace - Happy new Year

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  7. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

actually both of my dvd players say dvd-r playback. i think ill stick with my dvd-r's. i use vangaurds that are horrible quality media but surprisingly, they work very well and havent had a error yet. i burn at 2x speed. im thinkin of starting to burn at 4x speed instead. would burning at 4x speed be any different or cause more errors or something? or should i just stick to 2x speed.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

if your media is rated at4 x there should be no problem. many afterdawn.com members burn @ 4x . Some recommend not burning @ any speed higher than 4x (for video Anyway but as long as your burn at or below the speed the media is rated for you should be okay ! The easy thing would be to try one @ 4X if it comes out okay with the media you are using cool if not and it works really good at 2X well then only burn to that media @ 2X or switch media . personally I've burned backups of my dvd's @ 4 X & 8X and as long as the media supported the speed I chose no problems. Additionaly some media will allow you to burn above the rated speed in certain burners with out problems . I hope I helped somehow -happy & peacefull new year-

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Also some dvd players don't specify that they will play dvd+r disc but they do anyway ! might be worth a try ! good luck my friend

10. MysTNitE

MysTNitE Member

yea, i guess ill step it up to 4x. afterall, i thats my top speed anyway so i wont be burning at 8x. and i just ordered some T.Y. discs :eek:) im using vangaurd now and they actually havent failed yet. surprised cuz they are supposed to be garbage.
    and dvd players probably would accept dvd+r, but ide rather stick with my dvd-r's cuz i think they have a broader compatibility and my dvd players even say they play them back.

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If your DVD player can play DVD+Rs, go with the +Rs instead of -Rs. I've never had problems BURNING or reading DVD+Rs, but I've been experimenting with DVD-Rs recently - good ones like Verbatim and TDK - and I've had very inconsistent results. Sometimes they will burn at slightly below their rated speed of 8X, and other times, they will burn at 2X!!! I don't know why, but it just happens. They are good media so there isn't a problem reading them, but I just don't like the fact that sometimes it will take 10 minutes to burn, and other times it will take 24 minutes.