1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R over 120 mins on standard play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hoard, Jan 19, 2005.

1. hoard

hoard Guest

Is there such a thing as a DVD-R disc that holds more than 4.7 GB? I would like to find one that can record more than 2 hours on SP.

I'm trying to put several recorded college football games onto DVD-R's but the quality on the LP (4-hour) mode isn't great. Even if I cut out all the commercials, halftime, etc. the game still runs around 2:15 to 2:30.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Single layer DVD's -- "DVD5" -- routinely hold more than 120 minutes of video. I just backed up a dvd in which the movie is 153 minutes long.

How are you going about what you are trying to do? More directly:

a) what is the source and format of the recordings you want to copy to dvd?

and

b) what software are you using?

3. hoard

hoard Guest

The games are all on VHS and I'm using a DVD Recorder, no software.

4. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

As far as I know, it depends on the compression. A standard DVD holds 4.7 (4.38 or so in reality) of info.......this fits 2 hours of video at the best quality. Alternativily, you can cram on more then that, but it will have to compress the info, therefore resulting in lower quality video.......not sure how this works when you are using just a DVD recorder though....

5. hoard

hoard Guest

I'm sure it works basically the same way for a DVD recorder. I just thought if there were such a thing as a disc that would hold more data and/or the standard recording time were longer, I would be able to get the entire game on one disc at the SP quality.

6. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

Well, I re-read your question, I took it for granted you are aware of the Dual Layer DVDs....these hold twice as much info (and cost about 17 times more).....but of course, your machine has to be able to burn those. Again, not sure of your machine, you can check your owners manual to be sure if you don't mind the price (about $8-12 per disc!!!)

So, yes, there are DVDRs that can hold 4 hours at high quality, but they require equipment that can handle them.