1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R problems at the end of the movie

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Joost_B, May 22, 2002.

1. Joost_B

Joost_B Member

Hi there,

I was curious if anyone has encountered the same problem. I burned several movies on DVD-R (on Princo and Maxell) all of them seem to play flawless, except at the end (the last 10 minutes) I notice jittering and weird pixel effects. The procedure I follow is : smartripper, resample with Rempeg, substitute with ifoedit and burn with Nero or Prassi. I play the disks on a Pioneer 525 standalone player. Anyone with the same anoying problem ? or hints to avoid this ? thanks, Joost

2. slqcsguy

slqcsguy Guest

I have the same problem using Smartripper -> Rempeg -> IFOEdit -> Prassi PrimoDVD -> Pioneer DVDR A04 on a Princo DVDR or RW and play it in my standalone Sony 330. Still not sure whats causing it yet though. Let me know if you come up with something man.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

ReMPEG2 has this stupid bug that it doesn't handle average bitrates correctly -- it uses too much of the available bitrates in beginning of the movie and while the end is getting closer, it notices "OH S*IT! I only have xxxx kbps to use for the rest of the movie!" and encodes the end with lower bitrate than the rest of the movie and this causes blockiness and some artifacts in the movie.

Try to re-encode the movie (if you need to) with TMPGEnc's 2-pass VBR instead of ReMPEG2 and see if that helps.

4. EvlChrist

EvlChrist Member

are you splitting the dvd, or just directly copying it?

5. ajhens

ajhens Member

I had this problem.. I started burning everything at 1x and it's all fine now. If your using prassi primo dvd like I am make sure that it doesn't say max. Just set it at 1x and see how that goes.

6. Joost_B

Joost_B Member

Thanks for the replies guys!
    1. I was wondering, does anyone have a template to use for TMPGEnc that is set for PAL DVD resampeling ?
    2. Answer to EvlChrist : no I am not splitting nor copying, but resampeling to make it smaller and fit on one dvd

7. dRD

I think you should be able to use SVCD template as a base, just make a copy of it and modify it slightly to allow higher bitrates (upto 8.9MBit/sec) and DVD resolution (for PAL 720x576).

8. Joost_B

Joost_B Member

9. Bhawksq

Bhawksq Guest

I just now got my dvr-104 and noticed mine is having the same fricking issue. On both of them that I copied. I used dvd decrypter to do one directly. Any idea?

10. Joost_B

Joost_B Member

I found that a lot has to do with the combination of dvd player and media, when I played the copies on the pioneer525, I had these problems, when playing on a pioneer535 or sony ns700, no problem at all! So now I bought the new pioneer454 dvd player, and it doesn't jitter anymore at the end. However the 454 is not accepting 50% of my princo discs

11. Bhawksq

Bhawksq Guest

well I rewrote them with differnt setting and it seems to work. I changed the speed with dvd decryptor to 1x instead of max and I had nero determine max speed. With these settings it seems to work fine.

12. Snowface

Snowface Member

I've had this problem too.
    But I burned my movie on a no-name dvd-r. And it suttered like hell on my LG player. But my friend has a Cyberhome and he didn't seem to have any problems. So I guess my LG is very picky
    So I burned a copy on a That's Write and another one on a Pioneer at 2x. And these 2 brands work so well, that I can actually hear that my dvd-player is making less noise (less focusing, etc.) So it just could be your Princo dvd-r.

And for Joost_B : If you're Dutch too, drop me a pm, it's always easier to explain in your own language...

13. vantrek2

vantrek2 Member

I had a strange but similar problem. My DVD player a GE1101PB plays DVD-RW all the way through, but screws up towards the end on DVD-R. I took the top cover off and DVD-R's played perfect. There seems to be a heat sensitve problem with the laser pickup, but only with DVD-R. I have added a small fan to the back of platyer to solve the problem with DVD-R, but it would have been much simpler to just only use DVD-RW.

14. diadempro

diadempro Member

I had the problem using a Pioneer DVR-104, with what I thought was good media (unbranded). I tried compressing the MPEG different ways, using different software to burn it, etc. It turned out that the problem was 100% a media issue. Most of my players could play it back, but not my 3 year-old set-top Panasonic DVD player. It would play, but near the end of the disc, it would get the strange problems you describe.

When I switched to a high quality TDK media, the Panasonic player had no problem playing it back. I compared the two disks, and it seems the TDK had a higher reflectivity than the other media. I believe reflectivity is the key here, and for media with the lower reflectivity, some players are probably just barely able to read it, and then near the outside of the disc, when the disc is spinning faster per revolution, optics probably drop below the critical threshold, and the signal starts breaking up.

15. goldo

goldo Guest

Snowface I see you're dutch and although being french I live in the Netherlands, and it is very difficult for me to find cheap and good quality blank media.

Where do you buy yours and what kind ? I use a Pioneer 04 for burning and a Sony DVP NS700 for reading so far burned a few expensive Pioneer DVD-R with no issue but would like to find cheaper ones for same grade of success !!??

Thx anyone in Holland for helping !

16. dalboy

dalboy Member

I've had the problem with a movie playing for 80% of the movie then it starts jumping or sticking. I cured this by changing the media I was writing to. I found that using either White Label or Datasafe DVD-R's did the trick.

Hope this is of some help.

17. Snowface

Snowface Member

Goldo,
    I buy mine @ www.opus.nl , check it out.

18. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

I have tried several types of media. The best one I have used and NEVER had a problem is Datasafe (generation 3) White face label. The price has tumbled in the past few weeks (after I bought 50. DOH!!!!)

Current cost is about 90p (inc VAT + P&P)

Quite a few sites sell this media in the UK, (no plugging).

Give it a try !!

HomerJ

19. catman

catman Member

I just bought a Pioneer DVD 104 and also have the issue where the end of the movie is messed up. My discs do no work in the BURNER as well though. I've recorded 6 discs using Princo and Kingston Hypermedia using 2 different PC's. I have used both Nero and DiscJuggler. All movies are older and total under 4.3 GB. I use SmartRipper to extract and made no changes to the movie. All discs burn with no error message, but only 1 out of 6 has played all of the way through on the computer even. It plays flawlessly on every home player I've tried. The Kingston media are the same cheap purple dye media. Have you guys ever tried burning a data CD with the cheaper media? Does that work? Also, have you tried playing these discs in the computer to see if they even work there?

Bubba

20. dRD

catman: You're SERIOUSLY risking getting yourself banned from these forums -- I hate "gravedigging", replying to threads with absolutely non-related questions whatsoever pushing the discussion to way off-topic.

Look at our article section for guides how to copy DVD-5 discs to DVD-R. And read the rules, please.