1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+r Problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by FUTRIACO, Jan 4, 2005.

1. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

I am using anydvd and clonedvd2 and it takes a long time to back up a dvd. It takes about 40 minutes to transcode and 40 minutes to burn. Is this normal? Does anyone know how long it takes from start to finsh using dvdshrink and nero? I am talking baout normal size movies (one hour and a half to 2 hours) i am also having problems burning with memorex 8X dvd+r's. Are verbatim dvd+r good? can anyone help me. about the length of time required, how long does it usually take for you guys?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

I know it takes Nero forever for me to burn a movie, and that is just the movie with no extras. I have not yet used DVD shrink or the others you mentions. I would say that unfortunatly your times are pretty normal.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

other members say that the finish a backup in an hour or less, from start to finish. if anyone else has these times then i gues that is the time frame for backing up a dvd but does anyone get a faster total time?

4. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I am reading this and Sorry but it seems like only yesterday that 'encoding' a dvd used to be an overnight and frankly complicated affair, an hour or so seems today like a dream.

Most of what you mention will depend on your PC's speed, drive space and typically the dvd recorder's ability and practical sense (closing down unnesscessary apps etc)do you want the main movie only? (I use anydvd with DVDFAB) or the entire dvd with menu's (I use anydvd, DVD Decrypter or DVDSHRINK)
    Try taking out credits at the end to avoid re-encoding (I use nero recode)

5. demonhawk

demonhawk Member

Ok FURIACO one of the problems with memorex is that it has 4 different manufacturers... and only 1 of the 4 is really worth using... and yes... verbs are good dvds.. personaly maxell does it for me... haven't burnt a bad one yet(100% flawless).. and if it is the 8x spead you want... well its only and average of 9 min... diff. burn time than a 4x disc.... and all of this is after being a diehard memorex user till I played a little bit... haven't played with the mem 8x discs yet either... but found after tossing a few of their 4x disc out of a 25 pack.. that they burned better at 2x.. and saved the rest of the discs...

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

futriaco have you checked your dma settings ? if you are in pio mode this will cause slow read write times . 80 minutes seems offly slow for your setup . im using the same setup anydvd + clonedvd2 and dont see that slow of times . ofcourse it depends on if you are doing the movie with all the extras and the speed of your machine , hard drive speed , cpu , memory .

7. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I have used CloneDVD and when you do the whole caching files to disk, then putting them in an ISO, then burning can take up to an hour. It usually takes about 23mins before it is done copying the files to my HD, and then however long it takes to ISO them, and then about 7mins to burn them. But looke at my drive and that could be a factor. Also RAM has a huge impact on anything to do with video.

8. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

The burning issue was resolved as i got another burner. As for the decoding of the movie i sometimes use dvd shrink and nero; sometimes anydvd along with clonedvd 2. I only back up the movie as i dont care for any of the other stuff. I backed up Bad Boys 2 in an hour and a half (it is 2 and a half hours long).

Is this a good time? I did South Park in a half-hour.

Others average 40-50 minutes. Are these average times?

As for the memorex media, i can burn 8x at 12x with the sony dru-710 with no problems and since i got this new burner i have had no coasters. Not bad for someone that started this week. But i bought a pack of tdk's to be safe.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

them seem like better times now . enjoy your sony burner . these burners rock . welcome to world of dvd backup . im glad you got your problem worked out .

10. FUTRIACO

FUTRIACO Member

Is there anything faster than Dvd Shrink with nero or Anydvd with clonedvd 2?

Preferably free

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

not that im aware of . atleast not free any how .

12. demonhawk

demonhawk Member

Your running pretty good time Futriaco, You'll enjoy the sony alot.. and I'm glad the memorexes are working for you... but still be weary of them... I'm about to test some of the 8x mystelf for the first time....
    haven't burned a bad maxell yet but they only had 1 15pk on the shelf... so I figure test a couple of differnt types....