1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r ritek 8x problem.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by guinnyss, Jan 11, 2005.

1. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

im trying to back up my ps2 game and the computer dvd recording drive won't pick up my disk. its a ritek 8x white injet or white top. but it works with the ritek 4x silver top and im out of those. can some one help.
    and yes they are the branded riteks.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

BAD DISK USE BETTER MEDIA

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list. The discs at
    the bottom of the list are suitable only for a landfill.

Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
    PVC = Pioneer = (-R)(-RW)
    MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)<--VERBATIM
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)

Decent discs, though not perfect, about 85-95%
    success rate:

RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh = (+R)
    SONYD04 = Sony = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    PRODISC = Prodisc Media = (+RW)
    INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
    RITEKG04 = Ritek = (-R)
    RITEKG03 = Ritek = (-R)
    OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)

Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:

LEADDATA or LD01 or LD or LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
    PRINCO = Princo = (-R)(-RW)
    RITEK = Ritek = (-RW)
    ONIDTECH = OnidTech = (-R)

Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:

RITEKG01, RITEKG02 = Ritek = (-R)
    PIODATA = Lead Data = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
    Unbranded PIO = Fake Pioneer = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
    Unbranded SONY = Fake Sony = (-R)
    Unbranded MXL = Fake MXL = (-R)
    ACCU = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    LONGTEN = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    OPTODISC = Optodisc = (+R)(+RW)
    MATRIX = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    CMC = CMC Magnetics = (+R)(-R)
    ANYTHING ELSE = Unknown OEM or NEW

3. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

bad media stay with the 4X G04

Ludikhris

4. bandit778

bandit778 Member

Actually I've been using the RitekG05 8x -R and haven't had any problems at all. Everything I burn plays fine. So far I've done Ace Combat 5, Def Jam Fight fot NY, Star Wars Battlefront, Suikoden 4 and Smackdown vs Raw.

5. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

man you lucky for your defjam fight for NY works. i have to use my original becuase the back up keeps of pausing and also take extra time to load. but 8x is killing me right now and i still have a pack of 50 i havn't open yet.

6. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

8X does work for some but it really depends on your burner and if it likes the 8X media you are using. I learned this the hard way with a 50 pack of Ritek G05s. Movies burned ok, (at least my DVD player liked them) but the games read so bad it actually blew the LA chip in my PS2 and I had to have it repaired (free of charge, thank you sony). Moral of the story, dont play bad media and make sure you use good stuff.

Ludikhris

7. bandit778

bandit778 Member

All I did on Def Jam was use DVD Decrypter and ISO Read and ISO Write and used Swap Magic 3.3 and my Flip Top.

8. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

i thought ritekwas good stuff? and im using DMS3 V7 ps2 and burn it all with DVD Decrypter 2x. so i just think its the DVD burner drive acting up.

9. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Probably not. What drive are you using?

10. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

SONY DVD RW DW-U14A.

11. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

That particular burner is a 4X burner max speed. Ritek G05 have a known incompatibility with almost all 4X burners. In fact Ritek G05 really only work well with 8X burners burning at 8X. I think I said this previously but its the media, its not compatible with your burner. Want proof? Burn another copy on Ritek G04 4X. You can even burn it at 4X and I guarantee you wont have a problem. I found out the hard way that G05 does not burn well on 4X hardware. I got skipping games which ultimatly led to the demise of my PS2. I researched it a little so I know this is a problem with Ritek g05s.

Ludikhris

12. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

Okay... but what if the game burn good without skipping? would that effect my PS2?
    and your right about the G04's 4x speed they burn great.

13. CrymsonX

CrymsonX Member

Im going to buy the G04 Ritek Dvd-Rs for burning my backups. Ive heard from many sites that they are very relaible and that they are easy on the laser.

Ive noticed that they are a few different types.

Should i use the Silver Matte or the Silver Shiny of the Ritek G04 DVD-R?

Ive always used Verbatims and theyve worked great, i also used a Maxell brand, (before i found out that they can really mess up your laser) and they played well also. Unfortunately after a few nights of running a backup of GTA:SA,(Maxell Media) my PS2 Laser burned out.

So youve definitely got to be careful of what brand of media you use, not only for compatibility in burning and reading, but also in laser wear and tear.

14. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

and where you going to get the GO4's DVD-R's from? newwegg don't have them no more.

15. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

www.meritline.com

16. beltline

beltline Regular member

guinnyss - have you stopped to run a check on who the manufactuer code comes up as with these white inkjet printables you got? You really need to run it through dvd inforpro and see who the manufactuer is.

17. wardair

wardair Member

i was having a few problems with games not working or freezing when i used the 8x so i went back to the 4x and the problem games work flawless yet some work ok on 8x maybe my ps2 is picky

18. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

I bought it from Newegg. i thought them guys only sold branded names.

19. beltline

beltline Regular member

guinnyss - Don't take what you are buying at face value. Run an Identifier on them. I bought some G04's from meritline. Turned out to be something completely different - M02. Meritline took them back, but I was still out the $9 they charged to ship them to me and the $8 it cost to ship them back. So I was out $17 for something that was falsely advertised.

20. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

Okay beltline work with me on this...
    i used dvd identifier on my ritek dvd-r 4x and i got this.
    Manufacturer Name: [Ritek corp.]
    Manufacturer ID: [Ritek GO4]
    this disk i bougt from SHOP4TECH. and some mentor on there said they sold fake Riteks but this one seems real, what do you think about them people in SHOP4TECH? cuz there disk are cheaper than Newegg and they are branded from what i see BUT BUT they don't have the ritek printed on the inside of the disk like newegg does.