1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R/RW Burners vs. DVD+R/RW Burners

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Aoss, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Aoss

Aoss Member

I keep hearing mixed stories about compatibility performance and other particulars between DVD-R/RW an DVD+R/RW discs. I've heard that although they cost more, the DVD+R/RW discs have better playback so they are worth the extra cost. I've also heard that this is a lie and that DVD+R/RW discs are a waste of money and in fact have poorer performance on DVD players. I myself have a DVD+R/RW burner. What is the truth between the two? Would it be worth the money I would save to get a DVD-R/RW instead so I don't have to pay as much for discs? Or am I better off with the DVD+R/RW and paying the little extra for it?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Facts:

DVD-R compatibility -- around 75%
    DVD+RW compatibility -- around 75%
    DVD+R compatibility -- around 60%
    DVD-RW compatibility -- around 60%

(with tested couple of hundred different stand-alone DVD player brands by various tests)

Older models of PS2 don't work with "plus" discs at all, whether using for game backups or movies.

99.9999999% of DVD-ROM drives play both "minus" and "plus" discs perfectly.

Using bad quality media, whether "plus" or "minus", the compatibility drops. Finding a perfect media -- cheap, but good quality -- is not that hard, but you probably need to try out couple of different brands.

"Minus" is currently "the scene format" that humble pirates and "serious backuppers" tend to use. "Plus" then again is the one you get when you buy Dell.

The most popular drive in the world, by far, is the Pioneer A03/A04/103/104. Apple's "SuperDrive" is actually Pioneer A03 or A04, which is "minus" drive.

3. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Is that *four* different variations of the same (one) drive ??

-- Mike --

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No. A03 and A04 are different drives, A04 offers burn-proof for DVD burning, faster DVD-RW burning and better ventilation than A03. 103 and 104 are those drives' OEM models (or vice versa, don't really remember now :).

A05 will be released sometime within next few months and it will upgrade the DVD-R burning to 4x.