1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R to DVD+R Copying

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by harpert, Sep 30, 2003.

1. harpert

harpert Member

I transferred a video I made onto a DVD-R (using a Panasonic DMR-HS2) and then copied the DVD-R to a DVD+RW using Stomp's RecordNow software on my PC (I downloaded it last night based on a recommendation from another forum) and my Sony 500U +/-R/RW DVD drive. I encountered no problems with the DVD-R to DVD+RW copy process, but the DVD+RW disc would not play back on my Sony DVD drive using PowerDVD. I eventually want to copy a DVD-R to a DVD+R (I only have the DVD+RW that came with the Sony DVD drive right now). I did manage to copy from DVD-R to DVD-R and played the copied disk back with no problems. By the way, I previously used Roxio Easy CD & DVD 6 and although I had no problems during the copying process, neither the DVD+RW or the DVD-R played back using PowerDVD. Is there a technical problem preventing me from copying a DVD-R to a DVD+RW or DVD+R disc? Thanks.

Tom

2. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Hey there first mistake is using roxio. It has major issues. I would advise using nero 6 , works great for me. I dont know about any issues moving dvd-r to dvd-rw but I cant see why there would be any problems doing it.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

My advice would be this:

- Take the Roxio 6 CD
    - Walk over to your window or door
    - Open the window or door
    - release the CD at speed in a frisbie type motion
    - Hope that it does not do a boomerang and come back at you
    - IF it does, stamp on it until it is in pieces
    - Now buy a reputable piece of software like Nero or Record Now

4. harpert

harpert Member

I did end up using Stomp RecordNow (based on a recommendation on another forum last night) and I did successfully copy from a DVD-R to a DVD-R, but when I copied from the same DVD-R to a DVD+RW, it wouldn't play back using PowerDVD version 3.0 and my Sony 500U +/- R/RW DVD drive. I submitted my problem at the website for PowerDVD, http://www.gocyberlink.com and am now waiting for a response I wouldn't be surprised it'll take awhile. Thanks for the reply. Tom

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - I do hope it works for u :D

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

In Roxio6 are you using the disc copy process? or are you coping the files to your hard drive then burning with Roxio 6? I would recomend coping all files to your hard drive, click on them and see if they play or read, then if that works burn a new disc. The could be some copy error.
    Oriphus, your hate expands. They fixed a lot of problems in the new 6.1 release. However the bigest pain in the but is they said but didn't offer disc at once burning in Classic buring engine for DVD movie files. But that will most likely be the next release. But Roxio does work!! And not only as a frisbee.

7. harpert

harpert Member

I used the Disk Copier program on Roxio 6 but couldn't make a copy from DVD-R to DVD+RW or DVD-R. I used Stomp RecordNow and managed to copy from DVD-R to DVD-R, but couldn't copy from DVD-R to DVD+RW. Thanks for the reply

Tom

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No problem, Let me know if Roxio works that way. Oriphus seems to hate it like crazy. But I actually perfer it. If it only had Disc at once Burning option for DVD`s, then it would be the only thing I would ever use.

9. harpert

harpert Member

How does "Disc at once Burning" work? I've decided to convert my AVI file to MPEG and use DVDit to burn the video to DVD+R. Thanks for the help.

Tom

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

When you burn a disc there is usually two options available. Disc at once and Track at Once. In Nero you can only burn DVD`s using Disc at once and in Roxio you can only burn using Track at Once. In Disc at once burning a table of contents is written and the disc appears like a DVD. In track at once the DVD-r/+R or Rw tag is still there and the disc will be read if it is one of those discs. So if you DVD player, like mine does not read -R or -RW, you can get them to work by burning at Disc at Once. If I use track at once then my player will not read it. SO that is what I meant by Disc at once burning.

11. harpert

harpert Member

I was just using Roxio's Disc Copier to go from DVD-R to DVD+R and DVD-R to DVD-R and neither worked. Should I have set the Track at Once option when I used Roxio 6? I vaguely recall seeing it as an option.

Tom

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I would copy all the files off the DVD onto your Computers Hard Drive and then burn from the created folder to a disc in Creator Classic. I would not use the Disc Copier at all. And as far as I know the only option for DVD discs is track at once. But don`t worry about it.

13. harpert

harpert Member

Are you suggesting to use the Creator Classic feature of Roxio 6 to drag and drop the files over to the new disc (with no need to pre-format the DVD ahead of time) and not set the Track at Once option?

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

What I am saying is copy all the files to your computer off the DVD disc. Remove it a way. Then open Creator classic, and burn a new disc as if it was like the first time. Don`t worry about anything else and treat it is if it was raw data off your hard drive.

15. harpert

harpert Member

I finally managed to resolve my DVD+RW copy problem! After all the problems previously noted in this thread, I decided to author my video project using DVDit! SE and save it on the DVD+RW. It took me 2 tries to finally author the video on the DVD+RW (apparently the DVD+RW disc I had erased clean still had stuff on it so I had to erase again) using DVDit SE. I played the DVD+RW on my Sony 500 +/- DVD drive using PowerDVD Version 3.0 and got this error message #, 80900007. I was even more frustrated after that experience. I brought the DVD+RW to work and the guy I know there has a DVD+R/RW drive at his desk and also runs Power DVD Version 3.0. My DVD+RW disc played back on his system (Toshiba +R/RW DVD drive) with no problem! Now I'm stumped. I'm not sure if the problem is with my Sony 500 +/- DVD drive or my PowerDVD installation! I sent a message to the company that makes PowerDVD along with that error message and all I got back was that the company doesn't deal with DVD + or -R compatibility issues. So, the other day I fired a message back requesting an explanation of what error message # 80900007 meant. I haven't received a reply back yet and don't believe I will. My basic question: How come that DVD+RW disc wouldn't play back on my PC using PowerDVD Version 3.0, but would play back on another PC using PowerDVD Version 3.0? Could it be my Sony 500U +/- DVD drive?

Tom