1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+r to dvd+r fails in nero

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gunit2004, Feb 8, 2004.

1. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

when i put advd+r into nero to copy it to another dvd+r it fails about 90 % i converted the film in tmpgenc and burnt it threw tmpgenc dvd author has that got something to do with it both films play ok in dvd player but just cant copy
    thanks any help will be grate thanks

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi gunit,

you can make a perfect 1:1 copy using DVD Decrypter in ISO mode, first read then write. This method should work when all else has failed :)

Hope you get your copy!

3. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

still no luck it failed at 91%??
    i convertetd the film in tmpgenc and the used tmpgenc to author and burn it i noticed that the chapter selection was at the end of the movie will that have something to do with it?
    but im not sure why it was at the end it was on both did i do something wrong im sure thats why as that would be a bout 91% wouldnt it i never put any chapters in it just left it normal?
    what do u think i have done wrong and what can i do to sort this out do u no any guides on tmpg's dvd author?
    thanks for al your time
    hope u can shine some light on this puzzled and very confused
    thanks

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

5. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

hello!!!
    i did try it in iso mode but no luck
    thanks for the link i will take a look at them and let u no on my progress thanks for your time

another problem of mine is lame mp3 in tmpgenc
    i have been told that the problem aint lame mp3 it is that it is compresed (vbr) and needs to be decompresed ?
    does this mean the hole film or just the audio and how should i go about decopresing it ?
    and what settings should i use in tmpgenc after it is decompresed?
    thanks for your all your time

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Whats all this Tempgenc nonsense? You seem to be trying to burn on the fly with Nero? If so untick the 'on the fly' option so that the disc is copied to the HD first before burning. Only if this fails (very unlikely) then can you then start worrying whether other programmes are at fault. I would not recommend DVD Decrypter for any burning.

7. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

I have made over 60 succesfull burns with DVD Decrypter used with ImgTool Classic, with no coasters (after I quit using Princos... :) ), and it's definitely much easier and faster to use than Nero. Plus it's free. I've also tested my discs in numerous standalone players and they all play fine.
    Lately I've succesfully used ImgTool Burn, since it's even easier and faster than DVD Decrypter.

TMPEnc is a good tool if you're not happy with the quality DVD Shrink provides.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If Decrypter works for you when burning that's fine but there have been many cases of problems with it and don't forget Decrypter dose not use it's own burn engine so you are still indirectly burning with nero. I think everyone assumed that gunnit2004 could not get a copy of his disc because it had something to do with the fact that he used TMPgenc to decode whereas I do not make this link - copying 'on the fly' is known to be risky and that is what I have assumed was the problem. It is known that the latest version of DVD Shrink uses the highest quality decoding programme yet formulated, but in order to take full advantage you must choose 'analysis' before decoding.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  9. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

what do u mean on the fly ?
    does this mean from 1 drive to another if so its not that i only have 1 drive

and what do u mean about dvd shrink i have that program but no sure if it is the new 1 please can u tell me what is the new 1 and how to do what ever i should try in dvd shrink thanks a lot for your time

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Just right click on the DVD Drive, Explore, copy to a folder the contents. Burn using Nero. If it aint working, media or software issues.

11. Discmania

Discmania Active member

To get the latest DVD Shrink just click on this: DVD Shrink. This will re-encode files from a disc and burn directly with Nero.

12. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Discmania,

This is just my opinion by if you skim through the forums you'll propably find a lot more people having problems with Nero than with DVD Decrypter. It's much easier to use and it's free.

This is not true. CCE and TMPGEnc provide much higher quality image. They are rather expensive and take a lot of time, but the results are significantly better.

Check out this link for instance for a good comparison (ok this link only has the beta version of Shrink, but the situation is still the same)

http://nerds.palmdrive.net/dvds_tmpgenc2.html

gunit2004,

The newest version of DVD Shrink is 3.1.4, and here are some excellent animated guides about how to use it

http://dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Hope this helps!

13. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You cannot compare TMPGenc to DVD Shrink latest version since it does not compress video. When utilising the 'analysis' option in Shrink the result, with compression, is not matched anywhere else - a point Ahead software quickly realised when incorporating a slightly adapted version into Nero 6.

14. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

hi im going to tru to copy the film to my hard drive but when i open it and explore it what do i go on to copy it to my hard drive ?
    another problem since i have instaled the ace xp codec pack all the films i have downloaded have had lame mp3 audio is this to do with the codecs or just pot luck i always get lame mp3? this is a pain in the arse as i dont no how to convert a movie that has lame mp3 audio any guides or help with that would be grate thanks

and the last one is when i leave a film to convert that had the lame mp3 audio when i came home it said INVALID POINTER OPERATION that problem was with tmpgenc thanks alot to every 1 who is helping me
    thanks

15. Discmania

Discmania Active member

To copy any disc to your hard drive go to 'my computer' then highlight (click once) the drive the disc is in, then click on 'copy to folder', select the folder you want and then 'copy'. Have you tried uninstalling the codec from Add/remove programmes and trying again?

16. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

yo
    i will try to copy it to my hard drive now and i will remove the codecs and try that tomorow as i am tired and need some sleep(ZZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZ)
    ONE more thing do u use tmpgenc to convert your avi (divx) films to dvd? if so do u what u have to do when u have films with lame mp3? as im not sure what to do some 1 said that the problem is it is compresed and needs decopmresing? and he said to use virtualdub does he mean the hole film is compresed or just the audio?
    and what settings should i put into tmpgenc once i have decopresed it?
    thanks a lot i will be back tomo to let u no my progres
    thanks

17. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

i tried the copy to folder but it haveing it !!!!!
    it says that that it cant create or replace the video_ts and make sure the specify path is correct!!
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
    thanks

18. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

If you check out the link I gave in my previous post you will see that TMPGEnc
    a) does compress a movie
    b) does it better than DVD Shrink

You can use constant (CBR) or variable (VBR) bit rate to re-encode the movie with exacly the bitrate you want, thus you get compression as much as is needed.

And why do you think on doom9 in the DVD backup guides section (http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdbackup-guides.htm) is a classification like this?

Why do you think DVD Shrink is in the Speed over Quality section?? Because CCE (and TMPEnc VBR) gives you a much better quality than the fast compressing programs. I admit that DVD Shrink 3.1.4 is very good and I always use it on all my backups first, but many times the quality is not good enough for me (I always leave all menus and extras), so I switch to using "The Big3" with CCE re-encoding. It takes about 12 hours or so but the result is by far better than with DVD Shrink.

And the reason why Nero has an adapted version of DVD Shrink is that the creator of DVD Shrink now works for Ahead, not because it is "the best", because it isn't.

And please, if you still insist on your opinion, give me some "facts" to back it up with. I don't mean to be offensive or anything but you are clearly mistaken now. I have a few movies on my harddisc right now, one version compressed with Shrink and one with CCE, and anybody could see the difference, it is obvious. CCE gives a much better quality image than DVD Shrink.

gunit,
    Use DVD Decrypter to copy the files from the DVD to your hd, that should work.

The compression programs (DVD Shrink, DVD2One or the like) do not compress the audio, only the image.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  19. gunit2004

gunit2004 Guest

thanks for the help
    but the problem is i cant get the dvd+r to my hard drive ??????
    al it does is fail do u think it could be the disc or the way it was converted ?
    and u sound like u no what your onabout so how do u convert a film that has lame mp3 audio??
    and i have instaled ace xp codec pack could that have any thing to do with my problems??
    thanks a lot

20. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

gunit,
    This is really weird, since unless the files are damaged or encrypted/copy-protected, there should be no problem in just copying the files directly with Windows Explorer. If the files are protected somehow then DVD Decrypter should do the job in ISO or File-mode.
    It starts to sound like the files on your disc are damaged somehow, since I don't think that you created any copy-protection while making the dvd-r.
    So maybe you should start over again and instead of trying to go the hard way with TMPEnc just try DVD Shrink to do the whole thing from the original DVD.

I really don't know about lame mp3 audio, I've never come across any, but you'll find really good guides for all sorts of Format conversion at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides, just select the appropriate conversion and maybe tools you have/want to use, and hopefully you'll find your answer there.