1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!!DVD -R toasted my Home Player!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by BetaZeta, May 31, 2004.

1. BetaZeta

BetaZeta Guest

I Would appreciate anyone’s input into this matter!
    Funny Thing...I went out to shop for new media and happened to read the fine print on the back of a TDK dvd-r case. It says not to play there dvd r's on any unit but the one that produced it.....Warning that when that skipping occurs...which it did for me....the over exertion of the laser trying to read the disk will cause the laser lens to "fog", damaging its performance and even rendering the DVD player useless. I find this disturbing considering my player now has trouble reading a new original movie after my , freezing and skipping and so on. My last post I described how after I would backup a movie. It would run perfect 2-4 viewings then start to skip at certain chapters in the movie. This skipping would then happen more often in other chapters and even other movies that previously would run flawless. Gunna pawn of my burning to put towards a new DVD player and pop my good'ol CD-RW back in.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this thread!!!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Before you get a new dvd player, try cleaning it. They sell dvd cleaners for $10.

3. BetaZeta

BetaZeta Guest

Running Dell P4 2.6ghz
    1000 megs Rambus
    LG Supermulti 4X with latest firmware
    Using E3 dvd-r media with silver burn surface.
    I now understand that I should purchase higher quality media....
    Guess the question I am asking is.... Has anyone else read about or experienced this reaction to there Stand alone players. Does this really occur when media fails (skips) and the player struggles to read the disk.?

4. flip218

BetaZeta, I've used Verbatim +R (2.4x and 4x), TDK +R (4x), and +RW's (Verbatim, TDK, and Memorex). I have had some that started skipping, but none have ruined my dvd players. When they start to skip try cleaning them a little. It might help. I play them on a Memorex DVD/VHS Combo, and my XBox.

Check here for player compatiility
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

5. michelle9

michelle9 Member

I've just started to have the same exact problem. My player won't even read dvds at all right now! I've been using Memorex +RW and a Panasonic DVD-RV31 player. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but I go into town this weekend and will give that a go and let you know what happens. I've been putting labels on my burned dvds, maybe that contributed to the mess-up...can't say. Michelle

6. colw

colw Active member

Labels on DVD's generally a big no no - ultimately leads to freezing/skipping problems - search forum for members opinions re lables

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The best label for a DVD is the good old Sharpie not too pretty but it dosen't effect the center of balance. Stick on labels can unbalance the disc and cause all kinds of read errors.

8. michelle9

michelle9 Member

No more labels on my dvds! Now I figure that out...live and learn, and maybe ruin a dvd player in the process...sigh. I went to 4 different electronics stores yesterday and asked for the aknowledged "expert" on dvd players in the store, and then proceeded to ask a lot of questions. The consensus was that the dvd player is fried and no amount of lens cleaning is going to bring that baby back. Several suggested bringing it to a service center to be professionaly cleaned but did't hold out much hope as to favorable results. It was also agreed by 3 out of 4 that lens cleaning discs are not a big necessity to player maintenance and did not make significant differance. Whether this is an evil plot amongst electronic store employees to sell more dvd players by discouraging cleaning I can't say, I'll have to look for more info on the tech sites regarding that. It was also agreed by 3 out of 4 that burning and playing my own discs had no part in the breakdown of my player though only one had any opinion(negative) on putting labels on them. Whether this is also part of the aforementioned evil plot is unknown. Conclusions: I'm going to have to buy a new dvd player, throw out the remaining Memorex dvds (I'm taking no chances) and put a stake through the 300 pack of labels that I purchased. I did buy a pack of permanent markers for my dvd discs yesterday though, now I'm off on the internet to look for a new player. I suggest to BetaZeta that you do the same. Michelle

9. betazetaX

betazetaX Guest

Michelle. Don't buy cheap media. That turned out to be my problem. Your DVD player is obviously toasted, so purchasing a new is a good idea. Buy Ridata Ritek GO4's blanks. You can’t go wrong with these babies. Also update your firmware and shut down any programs running in startup. I am only a newb here so start a new thread asking about the steps you should take to burn successful backups.

10. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Ummm...wasn't the whole point of my answer that I had been burning my own discs allready and that was what mighth've contributed to my problem? I don't know, seems to stand to reason to me...unless you think I was just trying to run blank discs on my player because I'm so stupid that a blank screen seems a thrill to me? I don't like to jump on people but, come on, it stands to reason that if I got to the bad media point I must have actually burned a few to figure that out...I know people try to help but no one likes to be patted on the head (figuritivly) and told to go away and stop bugging Daddy!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  11. Hansemann

Hansemann Member

I use DVD-labels for about 9 month. Using wet inkjet-labels I got many problems. So now I print out the labels, let them dry for about one or two days and then label the DVDs. With 'dry' labels I never had problems.

12. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Just out of curiosity Hansemann, what kind of problems did you have?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

14. Hansemann

Hansemann Member

I put the wet labels on my DVDs. After a few days, when the labels get dry, the DVDs had CRC errors, when playing them on the computer. My Yamaha DVD player stops playing after a few minutes.

15. betazetaX

betazetaX Guest

Ummm...wasn't the whole point of my answer that I had been burning my own discs allready and that was what mighth've contributed to my problem? I don't know, seems to stand to reason to me...unless you think I was just trying to run blank discs on my player because I'm so stupid that a blank screen seems a thrill to me? I don't like to jump on people but, come on, it stands to reason that if I got to the bad media point I must have actually burned a few to figure that out...I know people try to help but no one likes to be patted on the head (figuritivly) and told to go away and stop bugging Daddy!

???
    Only a suggestion that fixed up my problem. : ) My DVD player seemed to deteriorate when my good backups began to skip. In my case it turned out to be the media. I used future shop G3works DVD-r's religiously. Lots of members here have suggested that I switch over to a Branded Ritek G04 media. I took there advise and it appears that's what was buggin up my player. I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to put forward.

P.S. would be cool if my rank tag was ("Daddy") but unfortunately it reads correctly as (newbie).

16. Veblin

Veblin Active member

And if you use two different accounts to post you will stay a newbie twice as long

17. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Point taken but my issue was with the following quote:
    not the media advice, my riteks arrived yesterday by the way.
    And don't worry betazetaX, you'll always be "Daddy" to me! Michelle

18. flip218

As this has been answered many times... I suggest the search function.

19. sharpster

sharpster Guest

Useful Thread Tks - Just had the same scenario - my 6 month old Panasonic DVD recorder (ouch) stopped working, (recording from TV & Playing DVD-R's). Panasonic said it was alignment issues - sent to main service center for repair (6 Weeks).

Have had this same problem consistently have used many Brands of Discs - from Cheapies to TDK & Most recently Reitek -

I definately believe inkjet labels are the cause. - It makes no difference which software is used, I have also tested problem backup DVD's on other peoples home machines, same problem at the same point of the film.

Does anybody know how to get Inkjet Labels off backup DVD's safely & Easily?

20. sharpster

sharpster Guest

Spent 5 Hrs last night painstakingly removing labels off dvd-r's. They now all work perfectly!!!!!!!

Worth putting a note on the Guides?