1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R versus DVD+RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by viper058, May 6, 2002.

1. viper058

viper058 Guest

Hello!

I have a HP100i DVD+RW.
    I can successfully back up DVDs with SmartRipper, IFOEdit, & Stomp. I have burned at least 75 different movies thus far. The DVD+RW media is awesome, but still pricey (about $5 per disc.) I was thinking about how cheap the DVD-R/DVD-RW media is and it might be more feasible to buy a new DVD-RW writer. Are there many campatibility issues with DVD-R drives & media? Is DVD+RW going to become more prevalent?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD-R seems to cost around $1.50 nowadays -- even here in UK (£1 a piece =~ $1.50). I would say DVD-R support is exactly as widespread as DVD+RW's.

3. viper058

viper058 Guest

Hmmmm......., okay, I'm seriously considering buying another writer then (DVD-RW). I suppose I can shelf the Hp DVD+RW until the media becomes more affordable.

Thanks for all the help! If you need an assist with any documentation on burning (using SmartRipper, IFOEdit, & Stomp.) I'm here for ya. I have been working on it for myself anyway. It's been a lot of fun and amazed several colleagues!

4. dRD

Heh, feel free to send us any article ideas/drafts with pictures. Just provided that you allow us to modify them to fit aD's overall step-by-step dumbass-proof ideology, we're definately interested.

And ofkoz we hand out the credits for the guys who have contributed to articles.

5. viper058

viper058 Guest

Will do! I need to make some adjustments to my documentation about splitting the big movies, but that shouldn't take long.

The Pioneer DVD-R writer seems to be popular on the forums. Is it the best one out there or the most talked about due to problems??

6. dRD

I think it's the cheapest high-performance DVD-R drive at the mo', that is probably the main reason for its popularity.

7. viper058

viper058 Guest

A couple of quick questions for you...
    As stated earliar, I'm well versed with SmartRipper, IFOEdit, & I use Stomp to burn.
    Reading another thread, you mentioned that DeCrypter will rip & burn all in one shot. This would save me some time....

Does it also modify the VOBs & navigation pointers as does IFOEdit??

Is this primarily for movies under 4.3GB or does it have the ability to split (I normally do this with SmartRipper) ??

And, are you aware if this works with the Pioneer DVR-104??

8. dRD

As I have stated in other threads, I haven't managed to get my A03 working yet, but what I've understood, Decrypter is mainly used for DVD -> DVD-R copys of movies smaller than 4.36GB.

9. dlilaztec

dlilaztec Member

i need some help with smart ripper ifoedit and stomp ...i just bought a dvd 100i and have no idea where to start have read a few guides tried one but did not work.....i see that you have the same drive just wondering if you can help

10. viper058

viper058 Guest

You bet. First, tell me how far you have gotten. It's really a three-step proces. 1) Rip it with SmartRipper. 2) Strip it with IFOedit 3) Burn it with Stomp.

Before I begin, I create a directory with the name of the movie. Then, I create two sub-dirs, one called "Rip" and another called VIDEO_TS. The latter begin where the final result will reside. "Rip" should be the output of SmartRipper, and the input of IFOedit. BUT, you must capitalize everything in that dir BEFORE you kick of IFOedit AND you must go to the original DVD and copy the first two files located within the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder.