1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r vs cdr question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bigb32, Jun 20, 2003.

1. bigb32

bigb32 Guest

I have noticed some backup games are available on dvd-r and cdr, so i wanted to know what the benefits are buying the dvd-r version of the gam over the cdr. I know some games, like vice city, are orginally on dvd, but I have seen other cd based games being sold on dvd as well. Why would someone pay more for the dvd-r version?

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm not sure which game you are refering to. Every game I've seen released comes out on either/or format but not both. Sony puts some smaller CD size games on DVD for copy protection purposes but that's the only thing I can think of you're talking about.

3. bigb32

bigb32 Guest

Im not referring to the games in thier orignal form. I have seen backups for sale of a game in both formats. For example: Metal Slug 3 on cdr for $5 or on dvd-r for $10. This is what confuses me.

4. JDBZ124

JDBZ124 Member

hey Ice have you ever had any problems with the MAgic 3.1, I have your exact same setup, what media do you use? thanx

*Edited for content that has offended acceptable forum use policy by moderator*

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

bigb32: Games in their original form only come in one format. Either DVD or CD, so you really don't have a choice there. If you're buying backups for your originals and you have a choice, that means that if the original was a DVD then the CD is a ripped version with stuff taken out to make it fit on a CD.

JDBZ124: My setup works fine using Princo 1x media burned at 1x (of coarse). The only problems I've had with the Magic 3.1 are the couple new games out now that check the disc boot sector after the chip shuts off.

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Please refrain from such comments about purchasing backups, This topic has offended acceptable forum use policy.

Please Read this link, so as to avoid any problems or situations that are not needed or can be avoided:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/8540

This topic cannot be discussed any further if it continues with comments of where to find backups or to purchase them, even if you own the original. I appologize but I will have to remove any further topics/discussions. Thank You__X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003