1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R vs DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mobutu2, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Mobutu2

Mobutu2 Member

It keeps comming back and back again; the DVD-/+ debate.

I do not know why +R was even invented since -R does exactly what one expects of it and is probably more compatible with most players than +R. Could we bring this debate to a productive conclusion ? Why should one use +R at all ?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Run a search, this has been covered [bold]a lot[/bold] already. Did I mention this has been covered [bold]a lot[/bold] already?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Booktyping my friend. You can only do this on dvd+ media in certain burners.I booktype my + media to dvd-rom. The compatability I have on my pc's and standalone players. They don't complain with both my benq 1620's backups. The dash format from these are less compatable in these,80-90%.

Take my last burner,I/O magic 16x. The opposite on this burner. The dash format backups from this burner were more compatable in the same pc's and standalones while the + format book-typed to dvd-rom were very poor. Approximately 50%.

Different burners,different lasers-Different preferences. That's what is great about the dual format burners. You have more flexibility for finding the right format for your stand alones.

Like wolfniggr posted, It has been covered in many threads. It all depends on which format suits your burner.Those stand alone players will tell you that.
    Looking at my backups on many different players from both my benq's,the + format ,booktyped to dvd-rom, do perform much better for me!!!!!!!!

The dash is all right for my own stand alones and backup pc,but my father and a couple of friends can't watch those backups.

4. MarkPS2

MarkPS2 Regular member

I just got a new burner and bought some DVD-R disks mainly because im thinking of backing up or burning my own ps2 games as soon as I get some type of mod. I got 1 free DVD+R disk with my burner. I dont really know the difference between the two apart from I heard DVD-R works better on PS2.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

From what I've read I think that dvd-r is more compatable for PS2 (I don't have one so I don't know from experience) but for set top players dvd+r booktyped dvd-rom is more compatable.

6. Mobutu2

Mobutu2 Member

What do you mean by "booktyped"?

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The booktype is the area on a disc that informs the player what format the disc is. On -r discs this area is prewritten and can not be modified on +r discs this area is blank and can be wrote as dvd-rom (same format as retail, pressed dvd's) thus making them as compatable as store bought dvd's

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005