1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+r will not play anymore

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by waltja02, Feb 8, 2007.

1. waltja02

waltja02 Member

I have been burning for quite some time. I use either dvd x copy or anydvd with clonedvd2. I am using the same media as always.

I have always been able to play my burnt dvd+r movies in my magnavox MRD200. For about teh last month it wont play any or the +r that i burn. It will still play the old though. My other generic dvd player will still play the new burns on th edvd+r

I am using the same processes that I used before and tha same media. I have a benq dq60 burner.

I have tried to do the booktype thing but i am eith not doing it right or it doesnt work.

Please help. I have a couple of hundred blank dvd+r that i would like to be able to use

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

What media are you using?

What's the manufacturing code? The code can be obtained from DVD Identifier, DVD Decrypter (Disk ID when in Write mode), Nero InfoTool, or a host of others.

What firmware version is your burner using?

It seems as though either you're not getting a good quality burn or your Magnavox isn't reading as well as before.

3. waltja02

waltja02 Member

I think this is the info you were asking for.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
    Basic Information
    Disc type: : DVD+R
    Book Type : DVD+R
    Manufacturer: : CMC
    MID : CMC MAG E01 000 (00)
    Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X - 8 X
    Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
    : 4482 MB
    : 4700375040 bytes

firmware is: mrec ?

I have just checked a couple of other family dvd players and they wont play the new dvd+r that i burn however they will still play the ones from before that my player will play.

Thanks for the help

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The thing that leaps out is the CMC Mag media you're using. They make low quality disks that other companies brand. This could be part of the problem. These disks quality often vary in the same spindle. Try some Verbatim or made in Japan labeled Sony or Fuji disks. Verbs are usually easy to find.

The firmware version is the 4 character symbol following your burner's model description.

mrec is probably the firmware for that burner. That seems also to be the latest available. This is the same burner as one of the Plextors and I think is actually a Teac underneath the label.

Try some Verbatim media and burn it at 4X with Clone and see if that'll give you a burn your players can read. If it doesn't, have CloneDVD2 output an image file and try burning that with ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com

5. waltja02

waltja02 Member

Thanks for the help I will try that tonight and see if it helps.

Would there be any reason that this would just stop working?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Download this free utility:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Insert backup,open up dvdidentifier,select drive,and click identify. Then paste it back into your next post. Lets see what one of the older + backups and the newer cmag backups check out as-seeing if they are actually booktyped. Maybe the booktype settings were changed?

Also post back the current firmware version on that Benq 60. It may need a firmware update?

I've got a magnavox 200F and it definitely has trouble with cmag media.She plays everything else perfect,except for crappy prodisc.

Just stopped working?

Did this issue occur after switching media-different spindle,different brand name,different speed rate?

Stand alone players can have issues with certain MID coded media.I've seen it with verbatim +4x. A spindle coding as MCC-002 and no problems. Exact identical +4x spindle coding as Ricohjpn had a worse compatability rate.

7. waltja02

waltja02 Member

this is what i get for one of the new ones

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
    Media Type ID : [E01]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This is one of the "old" ones that still works in there.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
    Media Type ID : [E01]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The firmware version is: MREC

It just stopped working. I might have switched to a different spindel (i dotn rember when i switched) but i have tried using a couple of disc out of 4 different spindles since they stoped working and non of them will work.

8. waltja02

waltja02 Member

I finally got it to work again. I used clonedvd2 to make an image of it and the used image burn to write it at 4x and it worked. But it takes forever now to make a backup :D

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

waltja02 , you don't need to use IMG Burn to burn you can transcode and burn in one step with clonedvd 2 with anydvd running in the background. this will def save you time. use this guide if you need help

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

and you def. need to get better media the CMC mag is some of the worst on the market as said Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim is the way to go. also it may help to booktype the DVD+R to DVD-ROM

10. waltja02

waltja02 Member

I think i got the book type thing but im not sure. Can u give me a quick tutorial on how to do it or make sure that I did it correct?

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@ aabbccdd

I think the member knows that he can burn directly with Clone. He was doing so before. I think he was trying to see whether he could get a good burn with another program other than Clone. It seems he did.

You definitely need to try some other media as has been suggested. CMC Mag is crap.

As for booktyping if your drive is capable of doing so, in ImgBurn in Write mode:

Tools > Drive > Change Book Type...
    Click the BenQ tab
    Use the dropdown menu to change the settings if necesssary. Use the permanent, not the temporary choices if you need to make changes.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

also you should be able to set it in your drives setting permanently set it and forget it

13. waltja02

waltja02 Member

How do i go about setting in the drive settings?

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

vwith the BenQ software that came with the drive. i don't have a BenQ so i don't know how

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Both those dvdidentifier pastings shows that they are already booktyped to dvd-rom. Dvdidentifier is correct. You can't trust nero on showing that info.

I love benq,but only in the 1620/1640/1650/and 1655. These all have the phillips chip sets. The rest have different chip sets.

After you went into ImgBurn,was the Benq tab grayed out?

Here's another route :

qsuite 2.0 and 2.2:

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

Here's where you can get qsuite. It's suppose to set the booktype for your drive,soliburn,test write,qscaninformation,WOPC,overspeed. There's a total of 7 tabs,but I'm not sure how many of those programs you'll be able to use.Look for the Booktype tab and make sure they say SET TO Dvd +r TYPE,Dvd +rw TYPE,and Dvd+R DL TYPE-to the left of all 3 of them,then you'll get a current setting for dvd-rom.

16. waltja02

waltja02 Member

The benq tab was not grayed out. I changed them all to dvd-rom and now as long as i burn them at 4x they will again work in the magnavox player.

Thanks everyone for the help