1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R with a CD-Writer?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 5soul, Jul 6, 2002.

1. 5soul

5soul Guest

Let's say I have a DVD-R...and I already converted and stuff...would I be able to burn it with my CD-Writer with Nero 5.5 or something? And would my CD-Writer even read DVD-r's?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No. And no.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

5soul,
    You're not totally screwed, all you need is a DVD ROM to read your DVD's. There are many choices available to convert your DVD to a VCD or a SVCD. That means that you could backup your movies on 2 CD's that would play in a majority of the standalone DVD players-
    Check Ebay for DVD- ROM's, they are pretty cheap -
    "P"

4. koola

koola Guest

It would be cool if you could that but the quality would be shit and the DVD would be on about 15 CDs lol.

You can convert your DVDs to DivX which if you have the correct DVD player, you could play them on. DivX ues Mpeg4 compression tecniques which make the file size small while still retaining DVD like quality.

Or you could convert to VCD/SVCD like ScubaPete said.

Good luck :D

5. malum

malum Regular member

My tumble drier plays DVD-Rs

Oh no wait a minute, no it doesn't it's a completely different piece of kit made for doing something else.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

My barbecuee burns DVDs -- well. Seriously though, you can make dvd type discs with a cdburner (i.e., miniDVDs with Nero6). :)

7. koola

koola Guest

Thats true Praetor, but do mini DVDs have the DVD file structure. For instance, do the are there still vob files and if so, are they in a VIDEO_TS folder?

I don't make mini DVDs as I think it is pointless. A CD-R would be better used to burn a DivX movie on.

8. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well DivX does not play in most players, miniDVD does.

<Advertisment>
    And of course (advertising music) you can see how to make miniDVDs at the site that has almost everything about DVDs.......

http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/minidvd.htm

</Advertisment>

Hehe!

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

koola,
    What is so kool (pardon the pun) about the mini-DVD setup in Nero 6 is the fact that you've a pretty fair picture there because we’re still working with our VIDEO_TS folder your VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-)

The mix of DVDShrink 3.0 Beta 5 and Nero 6.0 is truly awesome now - especially for the new guys on the block – and for those with just a CD burner –

“P”

10. koola

koola Guest

Hi ScubaPete, its is so Kool because you can fit DVD quality movies etc on a CD-R which will play as a DVD in your Standalone.

I don't use mini-dvds as I prefer to put movies and clips etc on a proper DVD and not on a mini DVD. They are probs usefull if you want to store small clips, like the ones frpom your mini dv cam etc.

Thats about all they are good for!

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

koola,
    As you can see by my "Puter" setup, I'm a DVD man myself - the reason I added the note about CD's and the Mini-DVD's is that it seem that many of the new guys on the block don't have a DVD burner,
    they're without DVD burners,
    having no DVD burners they are DVD burnerless -

I'm a bit in love with De DVDShrink and De new Nero 6.0 - especially now wid De Mini-DVD ting, as they are so fond of saying in De Bahamas, mon -

I used to say, "Get yourself a DVD burner, refurbished from ebay",
    Now -
    Well goodie, goodness -
    Them little kiddies aren't as lost, it's a snap to do their back ups on their CD burners -

What do ya say ???

Life just keeps gettin' better and better -
    "P"