1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R wont play in my Toshiba

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Greengo, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Greengo

Greengo Member

Scenario - Recently purchased a Pioneer 105 burner. Downloaded dvd decryptor and dvd2one, both full working (& paid for versions). Already had nero installed. A friend gave me a crash course in backing up my DVD's ;). He loaned me a few of his backups to start me off.
    I bought some Datawrite 4x yellow top dvd-r. I burnt copies of his discs and they play fine. So tried to burn a copy of a rental.
    Decrypted the film using the iso read function. Placed the image onto a virtual drive using daemon tools. Used dvd2one to take out the unnecessaries and got my folder ready. Used nero to burn the image making sure all the files were in the video_ts folder. Burnt at 1x. (I believe in burning slower as it prolongs the disc life). After about 50 mins my disc is ready.
    Pop it in the old Toshiba and get a disc error. Tried with Ritek 4x dvd-r burnt at 1x and still get the same message. These discs are working fine in other players so no coasters.
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ? I only have this toshiba stand alone for about 18 months and dont really want to part with it. Same media but different probs. My hair isnt totally pulled out but Im getting there.
    Using W2K and NTFS, reading and writing using the Pioneer 105 ???

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Are you placing the ripped files into a folder called VIDEO_TS and burning it as a data disc (fodler included) If not you should be.

Chris

3. Greengo

Greengo Member

Chris,

When Im done with dvd2one I open up nero and select the dvd/video icon and burn from there. I place the ripped files from my folder into the video_ts folder that nero has provided for me using this function.
    Dont understand what you mean by a data disc. Which icon is that ?
    I considered using a diff burning prog like primo prassi but the dvd/copy function in nero has worked fine.

4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

You dont need to create a VIDEO_TS folder if youre using nero. It is RecordNow Max that is picky about having to have a VIDEO_TS folder. When using nero, click on the bottom folder in the left hand column. Then open the folder where your ripped/encoded movie is...highlite all files then drag to the empty space to the left. Then burn, baby, burn.

cheezzzz

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  5. Greengo

Greengo Member

I thought you had to have a video_ts folder for the dvd to be actually recognised by your player.

Using that bottom icon,dvd-rom(udf/iso)does not throw up a videots folder for you where as dvd video icon does.

Does the "joliet" tag have anything to do with it. its tagged at the mo but I read somewhere else to switch it off. I aint burnin any more until Im sure ;-)

Confused... I certainly am :-(

6. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

The VIDEO_TS folder will be in the folder you create for your ripped/encoded movie. It will be one of the files dragged and dropped on the left pane of nero...along with BUP file. As far as nero goes, I left mine with all the default configuration. Only thing I changed was from the dropdown box in the New Compilation window. Choose DVD._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    DXCXpress v2.52 online if needed
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    Dvd2one/Nero 551035 Enterprise Ed[/small]

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually for the best results, i wouldnt use Nero. But for Nero, create a DVD ROM disc and make sure you dont do a multisession. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder you created, this isnt created as a folder unless you use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author your files, into the Nero burning program or else create a VIDEO_TS folder and drag the compressed files into it. This will give you the best result.

Chris

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Are you trying to burn .ISO image or .VOB .BUP .IFO files Greengo ?

If .ISO then just burn as a data disc or if VOB / BUP / IFO files then take DVD-Video option ... click on red VIDEO_TS folder and drag n drop all files into empty VIDEO_TS folder - burn w/out Multi-session
    (I would untick joliet check-box , but thats more to do with too long file names)

9. herbsman

10. Greengo

Greengo Member

Thanks a bunch Chezzz... another coaster... at least my original way played in another player. This thing wont even play in my PC...
    You deffo need a video_ts folder to drop your ripped files into. Your way doesnt create a folder nor does choosing that option in nero.

Think I'll just flog off the toshiba, get a simple stand alone player that doesnt need chipped for multi region and play my backups that way.

Im down to my last hair btw ;-)

Herbs... doing it from Iso

11. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

See herbsman post above. His way and my way are the same cause I've learned if from his posts. Maybe you are missing a step or two.

cheezzzz

12. herbsman

Greengo

In DVD Decrypter use UDF instead so as to take VOB files
    [bold]This is movie-only method: [/bold]
    A typical VIDEO_ST folder of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

You'll need to select main movie IFO file also (if not pre-selected like the VOb were/should be) ... in this case VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    Rip & unencrypt to an empty folder of your choice.

Then to compress open up DVD2One & choose options that seem appropriate

Burn w/ Nero as stated above

Ask me if you need more elaboration m8 : )
    [​IMG]

13. Greengo

Greengo Member

Herbs,
    thanks for the info. I'll not be near my machine until later. Shift work forces me to be away from it for 12 hours :-(

Basically what you are saying is select udf instead of ISO. whereabouts is that on dvd decryptor ?

Last night I popped in a film into my drive. Set decryptor to iso>read. After about 25 mins or so the task was complete. I noticed on my hd that there are two files with the dvd name. One has a disc icon and the other has a page with the windows frame icon. I have 2 virtual drives set up with Daemon so I place both on there. When they are set up I then use dvd2one. My first checkbox points to the video_ts folder from the disc icon on my virtual drive. My second option points to the folder I have set up on my desktop. Next option I get is the audio streams. I usually just take the 6ch & 2ch directors comments if they are there and click start. After 30 mins or so the operation is complete.
    Open up Nero. When i select the dvd-video option there are 3 boxes on the screen. The first box on the left hand side has a disc (saying new) then below it an audio_ts & video_ts folder. (audio is in yellow and video is in red)
    The middle box shows the two folders of audio & video. The box on the right displays the contents of the folder that I set up on the desktop. I select all the contents and then drag them to the left hand box (not middle) and drop them in the video_ts folder. The middle box now shows the contents of this folder. Click on the burn icon and set to 1x. 50 mins later my disc is ready. Tested on my modded PS2 and everything is fine. Test on the Toshiba and I'm not a happy camper.

Used Chezz' idea before but didnt see any folders in any of the boxes Nero threw at me so I just dropped the contents into the "new" disc icon in the left hand pane. Instant coaster.

Thats as close as I can get to describing how I burn my discs. Is it the placing of the iso image onto the daemon virtual drive the problem. I was shown another way by using the file option instead of ISO. Selecting all and decrypting that way. You talk of data disc ! Is this the option Chezz mentioned ? Hope you guys can sort me out. £140 player that WILL play dvd-r from other people but not mine is a costly item to have sitting under a portable TV in the spare room.

Cheers

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You mainly have 3 options in nero to use:

dvd video
    dvd udf/iso
    dvd udf only

Funny as they all are slightly different when burned (for compatibility)

I ran some tests on all 3 and found UDF only to be most compatible - especially with older dvd standalones.

The main reason for the udf you need to select: Physical partiion
    V1.02 - original format of standalones....

This option is also available in dvd udf/iso AND not in dvd video.....

Summary:

I found dvd video - very hit and miss
    I found that udf/iso was very good for modern players.
    I found that udf only was good for older models, however the udf option ALSO worked well with newer standalones.....

You can check the compatibility of your standalone at www.dvdrhelp.com in dvd compatibility section....

Personally, when you use dvd decrypter - I would only use the ISO mode read when you are processing a dvd5 (single layer under 4.5 Gb) to create an ISO image and burn back with ISO write mode within dvd decrypter....

If you have a dvd9 (dual layer over 4.5 Gb) then I would select file mode - highlight just the movie or complete disc and rip to the hd.

Then I would process with dvd2one - and point the result to a VIDEO_TS folder (in uppercase, somewhere on your hd).

The use nero/recordnowmax to burn - try out the options within nero - I am sure one of them will work.....

Or you could try dvdshrink to rip/strip/compress and re-author ALL from the disc.....this will result in folder that justs needs to be burned with nero/recordnowmax....

Free d/l for dvdshrink in the download section here.

Excellent guide here:http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm

Hmm, there are lot of options in this thread - but ALL should prove VERY useful - all provided by TOP afterdawn members - (sucky, sucky)LOL

Hope you get there.......

15. herbsman

Good reply baabaa , saves me typing away like a nutter for 5 minutes !: )

One thing to mention about my mate who spent £140 on a Toshiba DVD Player (dunno exact model number) & it plays copied discs that I have lent him just to check his player. Although it will only play PAL & not NTSC which every player in UK should be capable of. And it does say in the guide/handbook for the Toshiba that it does. I've told him to take it back under warranty like 5-10 times...
    He bought it from COMET & they're are known for not wanting to replace things when queried but I told matey to be forceful.
    (Warning to all UK heads , dont buy from COMET..especially on-line! They were on watchdog many moons ago)

I got another mate to recently buy the Pacific-1200 from ASDA for £49:99 & it plays all discs...even Bulkpaq G02 cheapies : )

[​IMG]

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is the force lost? LOL - it's behind you....

Actually 8 mins 37.6 secs.

I have heard these problems with toshiba's and yes - most players now will play the ntsc formats.

As for comet - well stands to reason - there way out there.

My mate bought a 32 inch widescrenn from there - and they delivered it and installed it, well they plugged it anyway.
    Funny really cos I was there, and WE actually showed him how to do it.
    Went into Comet to drop some hints about hiring people with common sense and product knowledge - got no response.
    So my mate got them to keep coming out for 4 weeks to rectify simple problems, like the remote doesn't work (put in dead batteries)

Man it was funny - I think they have a poster of my mate in the local - do not sell this person anything.........LOL

17. Greengo1

Greengo1 Member

Its me again... Greengo... Had to use a diff username cos my old one wouldnt let me reply. Something about cookies not responding and my email had bounced or summat ??? If admin or mod's are reading can you explain cos everything was working fine on Sunday and then on Monday everything went bottom up...lol

Anyhow. Thanks to you all for your help but special mention to BaaBaa... I sent him a well described pm about my problem. His answer sorted me out no end. Sucess at last... I was so pleased..lol

Herbsman & Chezzz... I can see your points now. Not dissimilar to what BaaBaa was saying but he was more descriptive.

Basically... Changed my read to file. Selected all and not just the movie only. Once that was done I created a folder on my desktop... named it VIDEO_TS... Open up dvd2one and let it do its worst...
    Once in Nero... I selected UDF only for my disc burn. With BaaBaa's instructions I checked against all he had said... set the old burner to 1X and after about 50mins I had my first working copy which played in my good old faithful Tosh ;-)

So I'm happy, the burner is happy and the Tosh has been saved from flogging in a local newspaper...

I'm just waiting to pass on this info to some unsuspecting visitor and make it seem that I know what I'm doing... ;-)

Thanks again lads...

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Excellent result.

Thanks for the praise, glad WE could help.

Herbsman - tell darth vader the death star was destroyed in episode 4+6 - it's gone......LOL

Just one question - actually 2.

You know if you just want the movie only, you can rip in file mode and have dvd decrypter select the movie files for you.

Basically it should select the ifo and the 4 or 5 or 6 relative vob files.

Then put it through dvd2one and your good.

Also, I expect you'll be wanting to upgrade the firmware on the burner soon to enable quicker burning speeds?

Another tool you could experiment with - dvdshrink - available as a free download here.
    (in the downloads section)

This program is very good as you can rip/strip/compress and re-author DIRECTLY from the dvd - thus only using a maximum of maybe 4.38Gb on your hd.
    (does take some time, if pc specs are a little low)
    Good guide available at www.chrismccann.co.uk
    (burn back as you did as normal)

Anyway, you now have a working method, and can burn away...congrats.......Baaaaaaaaaaa!

19. Greengo1

Greengo1 Member

I'm not so sure about that Death Star thing...

[​IMG]

You'll only confuse me now with separating out a film on its own... lol ;-)

20. herbsman

[​IMG]
    All you'd have to do to get movie-only is select files mentioned by baabaa

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824 <-- IFO needed
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

You'll need to select main movie IFO file also (if not pre-selected like the VOB were/should be) ... in this case VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    Rip & unencrypt to an empty folder of your choice.

Then to compress open up DVD2One & choose options that seem appropriate (it'll add BUP file(s) needed