1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R won't work on players--utterly confused :(

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by enemsi, Aug 25, 2004.

1. enemsi

enemsi Member

Hello all,
    Okay, so I've been reading the forums trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but being that I'm a complete newbie, I still can't figure this one out. My husband and I converted a WMV (actually really just a simple slideshow of stills with audio) into MPEG-2 and burned it onto DVD-R using Nero. For whatever reason it won't play on standalone players. The only thing it will play on is our xbox's media player. I don't think it's a region issue as two of the players it didn't work on are region-free. Would it be an encoding issue? Someone please help. Thanks ^^

2. shooter

shooter Member

It sounds like what you ended up with is basically a slide show. Jpeg stills, and music..correct? If so, many stand alone players will not allow you to view JPEG files on them. I would suggest you check the compatibility of your set top players ability to view JPEG images before you go much further in that direction.
    Next, what software did you use to convert the WMV files to MPEG format? And did you then convert the MPEG to DVD video, to play on the set top machine? I believe this is a necessary step in order for it to work.
    I know when I compile a group of MPEGS, I have to transcode them all to a DVD Video format to get them to play in any of my set top players. There is also software such as Sonic MYDVD that seems to build slide shows that will play on most any DVD player I have tried them in. But it transcodes them as well into a format that a DVD player can read.
    The more information you post, the easier it will be to assist you.
    Good luck,
    Shooter

3. enemsi

enemsi Member

Hi Shooter,
    Thanks so much for your response! ^^ The slideshow is indeed a bunch of jpegs accompanied by music mp3s. However, we already converted the WMV file directly into a DVD video file (bypassing mpeg2--when I checked the computer after reading this) using AVS Video Converter, which we downloaded from the net.
    I’ve made an error in stating that we used Nero to burn it. (We use Nero so often on CD-Rs that I was mixing that up.) We actually used DiscJuggler to burn the DVD video onto the physical DVD-R disc. Basically the result was a DVD-R showing a video_ts folder and an audio_ts folder. Now, it played perfectly on the xbox, but again, it wouldn’t play on any other DVD player at home and at my office. :/ I’d played some other home-burned DVDs on the other players, so it’s got me stunned. But maybe you are right about the jpeg issue, even if it was converted to video first, as the previous burned DVDs were mpegs to begin with. Thanks again for your advice and if something else comes to mind, please do post! Much appreciated :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  4. shooter

shooter Member

5. enemsi

enemsi Member

No, actually you've been quite helpful as I'm slowly starting to learn more about DVD-R in general. Thanks so much ^^