1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R works on PC, not in DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tom34diy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Would someone please help me figure out why the DVD-Rs I just burned on my PC play back fine on my PC (Dell with XP), but on my Toshiba DVD player (that is just a year or two old), it briefly freezes up every ten seconds or so. Another odd symptom of some problem is that if I try to fast forward on the player with these DVDs, it goes back to the beginning of the DVD. Thanks in advance. Tom

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What did you backup onto dvd-r?
    Bittorrents/avi's/mpegs/original dvds?

This issue just pop up?

Did you have any issues before this?

Here's some usual culprits,ruling out that the pc will play them ok:

1) Media quality-crappy media=crappy playback.
    2) Burn speed- Crap media,reduce it.Quality media,you may have to increase it.
    3) Compression- Keep to a minimum 4300-4360 mbs-depending on media quality.Low quality media,then a lower backup target.
    4) Bad batch of media-player having a hard time reading it.
    5) No Multi tasking during the backup process
    6) Paper/sticker labels-Major No-No. Peel them off.Cause heat build up,wobbling,and can tear apart in a drive.
    7) Burn engine-try another burn program
    8) Crappy burner-can cause more errors on backups.Drive may also need a firmware update.
    9) Programs transfering bittorrents/avi's/etc into BUP/MDS/ISO/TS/etc.
    10) Dirty laser lens. Clean the laser lens after ruling out all the above. Those hard cleaning discs have been known to ruin drives,so use it as a last resort-before drive replacement.

That's just a few possibilities.Stand alone players can pick out any of those culprits-giving you bad playback. If the burner plays its own backup ok,then your player is telling you something is wrong with it-you just have to narrow it down.

If you have a scanning program like Nero's Disc quality test,dvdinfopro,Kprobe,Plextools,etc-Then run some of your backups through it and see how they score.

4. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I burned these DVD-Rs using Pinnacle Dazzle, using their option of burning directly from the analog camcorder to the DVD (not going through the hard drive). So, it burned onto the DVDs in real time as the video ran on the camcorder. I will try the DVD on another one of my DVD players and see if the freezing issue is because of the DVD or the player. I'll post the results. Thanks a lot. Tom

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what you did is burn on the fly! not really advised to do that and this could be one of the reasons that you are having problems.

6. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I probably would get a better result from puting the movie on the hard drive and then burning the DVD, and I will try that on my next movie, but I checked my DVD on another player in the house and it worked fine. Therefore, in this case, it may be a problem with the DVD player, although that player works fine on movies we rent. I will give the other method a try (using the hard drive). Thanks for the input. Tom

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Which proves the point that it's the media that is not of good quality and therefore you are getting sporadic playing with different players! you still didn't identify what manufacturer id your media is! So i must assume that your media is crappy and therefore you get crappy results.

8. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Well, things are much better now. I followed the suggestion of putting the video on the hard drive, then burning onto the DVD-R. The freezing up has stopped, but it is taking twice as long this way. As for the DVDs, I am using Memorex 8x, but am burning at 4x, which may be helping to get a better product. Also, I am using the Pinnacle Dazzle to convert the analog and get it on the drive, then using Nero to burn the DVD. Thanks again for all of the help. This is a great site. Got to go, I only have 24 tapes left to do, at 4 hours per tape. Maybe I should just get a DVD burner? Tom